With goals of:

FC 4.0
    CC 0.0
    pH 7.4
    TA 100
    CH 250
    CYA 40
    Borate 50

However, I am continually dosing with MA to hold the pH down. In the last 2 weeks, the pool has consumed 280 Oz. of MA, just to hold the pH under 7.6 and attempt to touch 7.4. I don't get it. Any ideas on what is going on?

PS
    No fill water in the period.

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: Pool Concuming a lot of MA

With your TA at 100, you will continue to have this issue. Read this and try to bring your TA down in the recomended ranges and it should slow the PH rises.

Pool School - Lower Total Alkalinity

Remember it is also a process like the SLAM. It will take a bit to lower it.
    Lisa
    Intex AG vinyl 15' x 48" 4,300 gallons due to skimmer install, Krystal Clear SF pump combo 2800 GPH, Krystal Clear SWG, Pool Blaster Max vacuum, Hayward thru the wall skimmer, TF 100 test kit with speed stir, K 1766 Taylor salt test, My SLAM Process

3. Back To Top    #3

Aeration can cause PH to raise. Even returns that are aimed toward the surface can raise PH. If you have any features, waterfall, anything like that will also cause aeration.
    Viking Maui 2300g fiberglass in ground pool in a screened room with polycarbonate roof. 45gpm pump with sand filter manually chlorinated. Entire pool water can cycle in 51 minutes. Jacuzzi 336g hot tub with ozonator, manually chlorinated. TF 100 test kit with speed stir. Fungi pronounced Fun Guy, I'm Jim

4. Back To Top    #4

I was trying to fudge on the side of the requirements of the liner manufacturer. I guess I can't do both bbb/tfp and that.... and keep the water balanced.

5. Back To Top    #5

TFP Guide

Nope, you will have to decide who you want to follow.
    Lisa
    Intex AG vinyl 15' x 48" 4,300 gallons due to skimmer install, Krystal Clear SF pump combo 2800 GPH, Krystal Clear SWG, Pool Blaster Max vacuum, Hayward thru the wall skimmer, TF 100 test kit with speed stir, K 1766 Taylor salt test, My SLAM Process

6. Back To Top    #6

We're going with TFP, in spite of the tinkling contest with the manufacturer over their "warranty."

7. Back To Top    #7

TFP Guide

Yay! You will not regret it! I have gone against every manufacturer rule on my pool, but I have a beautiful pool thanks to TFP methods.
    Lisa

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by ewkearns View Post
    I was trying to fudge on the side of the requirements of the liner manufacturer. I guess I can't do both bbb/tfp and that.... and keep the water balanced.
    Actually, if you follow TFP, then your water will be balanced. I'm curious, what has the liner manufacturer told you to do?

If you put your numbers into PoolMath (I assumed 82F for water temperature), you get -

CSI = +0.07 for your current values

and

CSI = -0.19 for your goals [EDIT]Corrected this number, had wrong TA value.[END-EDIT]

Your water, as-is, is balanced with respect to calcium carbonate saturation in water. Since you have a vinyl pool, the negative CSI value for your goals isn't a problem.
    Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

9. Back To Top    #9

You have been given advice that is technically correct. However, your pH is within the range that we recommend. I wouldn't spend a lot of time fiddling with it - just enjoy the pool.

I can tell you from experience that the TFP method has lengthened the life of everything from swimsuits, goggles, cleaner hoses, etc. compared to my pre-TFP days of following the typical "pool-store" way of managing things.
    Gold Supporter, TFP Lifetime Supporter, 26,680 gal Plaster IGP 3.5 - 10' depth / Attached Waterfall Spa, Manually Chlorinated, Triton Sand Filter, 1.5 HP * 1.1 SF = 1.65 SFHP 1-speed Pentair WhisperFlo WF-26 Pump, 400K BTU NG Teledyne Laars Series One Heater, Polaris 360, Test Kit Comparison, Chlorine/CYA Chart, SLAMing Your Pool, OCLT
    A good test kit is an investment, not an expense.

10. Back To Top    #10

Well, this all devolved from me trying to understand GLI's (no-)warranty. They specifically excluded "improper chemical utilization," but passively refused to define the term. All I could get out of them via email was " Typically, if your chlorine is maintained below 3ppm and your PH is between 7.2 - 7.6 your liner will wear at a normal rate." Their website states: "Standard pool water should be maintained at a pH between 7.2-7.6 and an Alkalinity level between 80-120 PPM. "

I finally just gave up when it became painfully obvious that their "warranty" only covered seam failure.... nothing else. Sort of like GM warranting the welds in their cars, but referring all other failures to US Steel.

Whatever, I have a crystal clear pool that I am maintaining for cents a day and I only have to go to the pool store to people watch and remind myself of how bad life can be......

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by ewkearns View Post
    Well, this all devolved from me trying to understand GLI's (no-)warranty. They specifically excluded "improper chemical utilization," but passively refused to define the term. All I could get out of them via email was " Typically, if your chlorine is maintained below 3ppm and your PH is between 7.2 - 7.6 your liner will wear at a normal rate." Their website states: "Standard pool water should be maintained at a pH between 7.2-7.6 and an Alkalinity level between 80-120 PPM. "

I finally just gave up when it became painfully obvious that their "warranty" only covered seam failure.... nothing else. Sort of like GM warranting the welds in their cars, but referring all other failures to US Steel.

Whatever, I have a crystal clear pool that I am maintaining for cents a day and I only have to go to the pool store to people watch and remind myself of how bad life can be......
    Have you tried going back at them and asking them to define what "wear at a normal rate" means? Do they have any technical literature that they can point to showing "wear rate" as a function of some water parameters?

My guess is they have no idea what their standards are as vinyl manufacturers rely on a wide array of vinyl sheet material suppliers who also can't supply information on their materials. I would love to see some technical literature on vinyl (other than sales brochures) but I would not hold my breath.
    Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

12. Back To Top    #12

Quote Originally Posted by JoyfulNoise View Post
    Have you tried going back at them and asking them to define what "wear at a normal rate" means? Do they have any technical literature that they can point to showing "wear rate" as a function of some water parameters?

My guess is they have no idea what their standards are as vinyl manufacturers rely on a wide array of vinyl sheet material suppliers who also can't supply information on their materials. I would love to see some technical literature on vinyl (other than sales brochures) but I would not hold my breath.
    I have a fairly long email trail of me asking questions and them responding, essentially, (1) ...chlorine is maintained below 3ppm and your PH is between 7.2 - 7.6... (2) and that they don't warrant the materials, ONLY the workmanship (welds). Thus, my statement that they passively refused to answer my questions by answering obliquely. The process almost reached the level of high comedy when it became clear that they had no intention of answering any comprehensive or pointed questions, in writing.