Waterbugs and backswimmers OH MY!

AbM_LA

May 20, 2015
LA
I'm a pool noob. I have an AG Intex ultra frame 22' x 53" pool with the pump that came with it (I run it 8 hours + a day). I'm am ordering the fas-dpd kit and the cya kit - currently using the Hth 6 way kit (which I've used all the cya test regents). The pool has only been up for 3 weeks and I test it obsessively. I've been keep the Clorine level on the higher end has I've read the Hth test only reads for total Clorine and didn't was to risk it being too low (using 8.25% bleach). My water is perfectly clear: Hth readings Cl: 5-7 (based off the pool calculator using the Hth oto test) the Ph has been steady 7.5 and my last cya reading was 70 about 2 weeks ago - as I've run out of the regent, no hardness present (is that bad?) and the alkalinity was high 220 (!!) is that bad? I'm not sure I trust the Hth test kit.
Anyways, I'm in south central Louisiana - aka swampland - we've had a ton of rain pretty much every day but coupled with bright sun (which the pool is 100% exposed) and high temps. I'm having serious problems with these **** Waterbugs!!! I know they are around as its a really wet area, with bayous and rivers close by but now they are in my pool! How do I combat these little buggers! I swear they are multiplying!!

Usually maintaining proper chlorine levels on the high side of the recommended range for your CYA will keep these buggers at bay. But in extreme cases, you can add Borates up to a maximum of 50 ppm for an extra measure of deterrence to these critters.

Great! Thank you for the quick response, I'll look up adding borates :) and continue to keep my Clorine levels on the higher side! This has been such a great site/ forum for me being a beginner! I'll follow up as well.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.