Chlorine test color orange not yellow?

Jul 13, 2012
image.jpg

Ran the test twice. This means there is too much chlorine in the pool?

The free chlorine test, I think I had nearly 45 drops so 22ppm chlorine and zero chloramite.

Cya at 40.

The calcium hardness test did not turn red, only pink and then when adding drops it only turned to clear not blue. So low on calcium? Can I add a calcium increaser with chlorine levels too high?

TA test only 90. How to increase to desired level?

Thx

The chlorine OTO test turned orange because the FC is so high.
With CYA of 40, your target FC target should be 5 and minimum of 3.

Also, with FC above 10, then the accuracy of the pH test is suspect. pH will test higher than what it really is with FC above 10.

Yes, add calcium increaser to raise CH. Its ok with high FC.

Dont do anything to the TA, it will most likely take care of itself over a bit of time. Once your FC is reasonable, then retest pH...then keep and eye on your pH over the next few weeks and if you have to adjust it often, then at that time, you might want to adjust the TA. TA only effects the rate of pH change.

Richard320 has some kind of scale for that test that involves tweety bird yellow and school bus yellow, looks like he needs to add orange julius to his scale. :-D That is definitely some high chlorine.

You don't even need to run that OTO test since you have the FAS-DPD test that reads much more accurately.

I wouldn't treat the pool based on any of those test results until FC drops down to 10 or less. It can bleach out or react to the other reagents and give you false readings.

The big question is WHY is the FC so high? Are you trying to treat Mustard Algae or something? Did your chlorinator go wild and dump a bunch? Did someone else dump a bunch in? Are you blindly adding stuff?

Also, you've been a member for nearly three years.... isn't it time you filled out your signature?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.