Chemical Confusion!! Please Help!!!

May 30, 2015
Union City, Tn
Hi all. This is the 3rd year my wife and I have had this pool and our grandsons love it. Last year when we opened the pool it was so green and nasty we drained the pool and started over. (didn't close it properly) But when we opened it this year it was much better. We first added PH up, then algaecide, then shock. Water was crystal clear after a couple of days. Then we couldn't keep chlorine in it. 5lb of shock only helped for about 6 hours then it tested no chlorine. 3 bottles of bleach helped for about 8 hours then it tested no chlorine. We finally broke down and had the pool store test the water. I will try to attach the report. We added 12oz of the phosphate remover last night but this morning the water is cloudy and there is a black circle in the middle of the pool about 3 feet big. I think it might be black algae. First and foremost, can someone please recommend a good water test kit? We have a cheap kit that we bought at walmart but it only tests the ph and chlorine. Before we add anything else, can someone please advise exactly what we need to do next? Thank you for your help.

attachment.php
attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_0002.jpg
    IMG_0002.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 80
  • IMG_0001.jpg
    IMG_0001.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 80
Welcome to TFP!

First and foremost, can someone please recommend a good water test kit?
Here are our Recommended Test Kits. I use the TF-100 because it's the best value and they have a freshness guarantee. You can order it here: TFTestkits.net. They ship fast - you should have it in your hands in 2-3 days with normal shipping. I would make ordering this Job One.

Next, discontinue randomly dumping chemicals into the pool and do not rely on pool store testing. That "service" is designed to get you into the store so they can sell & hook you on needless chemicals.

Until your test kit arrives, I would simply add 2 ppm of chlorine to your pool to maintain the status-quo. Use Pool Math to determine how much chlorine to add based on the size of your pool. I would also check out the following articles to give you a high-level overview of our methods: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry, Recommended Pool Chemicals, and [FC/CYA][/FC/CYA]

When your test kit arrives, post a full suite of test results and we will go from there.

I am SO glad you found us! We can help you get and keep your pool clean and clear and safe for those wonderful Grands of yours!

First off I want to ask you a question-----------Is the pool store test REALLY free if you have to buy all kinds of stuff to put in your pool?

Here at TFP we can teach you to test your own pool with one of the test kits that are listed in my siggy.

After you have your test kit just about the only thing you will need to buy to keep your pool clear is chlorine/bleach.

Let us know when you have your test kit and we can help you from there!

Kim

They said you had 0 phosphates but said to use phosphate remover? And your calcium is 9? Maybe if you filled the pool with distilled water.

If you want a good use for that pool test, fold it up into a paper airplane, and see if you can hit the garbage can with it. :D

But seriously folks, for the price of some pool store chemicals, get yourself a TF-100 and take control of your pool yourself without the bad advice and costly pool store products. You will have great pride in your sparkling pool that you take care of yourself. Welcome to TFP!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.