How can I check for proper operation?

May 30, 2015
Nola
Good morning,

We installed an intex above ground pool (48" by 15') at the end of last year with a sand pump and salt water system. The water has remained crystal clear since September and still remains crystal clear. Whenever I test the water, it never shows any chlorine in the water. Why would this be? I am confused because I know the water wouldn't be crystal clear without the chlorine but at the same time I want to make sure the water is safe for my kids to swim in. Any help would be appreciated.

One of the key principles to TFP is ensuring that all pool owners obtain one of the recommended test kits (TF-100 link below). This is emphasized many times here at TFP because many of the generic test kits at the pool store and/or retail outlets do not have the capability to test chlorine at the (high) levels required, or they are simply not reliable. Same goes for taking water samples to the pool stores - not reliable. If you haven't done so already, I would highly recommend you obtain one of the kits in the link below. It's a small investment that I guarantee will pay for itself over & over. You will have peace of mind with testing accuracy, save money not buying un-needed products from the pool store, and most importantly ... be in total control of your pool. Once you obtain one of these kits (I LOVE my TF-100 w/ speed stir), you can post all the readings accurately and we will be glad to chime-in and give you our thoughts. Let us know if you have any questions.

Also, you're right to be concerned about the quality of the water. It may have remained clear because it's still cold and/or your SWG has been trying to carry the load of sanitizing to not allow algae to generate, but once it does ... look out. It could change fast. Besides obtaining one of the recommended kits so we can see all of your readings, I would suggest you take a peak at the links below in my signature if you haven't done so already. They explain all of the TFP processes in very good detail that help you understand what we do and why. We'll be standing by and looking for any questions you may have.

First, as stated above, get a good test kit.

But in the interim, the cell in the SWG is mounted inside a clear plastic tube. When it is working properly, you should be able to see small bubbles forming between the plates and flowing out thru the connection towards the return eyeball. Do you see any bubbles?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.