Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: AA treatment

1. Back To Top    #1

AA treatment

I'm trying to get rid of some iron stains on my fiberglass pool. I read how to proceed with the treatment but my question is can I keep my ph between 7.2-7.3 since a lower ph helps with the stains from coming back?

I have a SWG and it says in pool school the ph should be between 7.5-7.6

I plan on using jacks purple stuff as sequestering agent

Thanks
    20,000 gallon viking fiberglass pool w/aqua comfort heat pump, pentair whisperflo pump 1.5hp autopilot dig-220 swg w/RC42 cell (42,000), pg2000 fiber optic lights
    hayward sand filter(medium is echoglass)
    Blue diamond robot cleaner

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: AA treatment

I would keep pH between 7 - 7.2 as the Ascorbic Treatment to rid Pool of metal stains article suggests. This is a temporary measure for a week or so. However, if you are concerned about the SWG, you can turn it off and temporarily chlorinate with liquid bleach. Besides, you do not want to over-chlorinate during the AA treatment.
    Gold Supporter, TFP Lifetime Supporter, 26,680 gal Plaster IGP 3.5 - 10' depth / Attached Waterfall Spa, Manually Chlorinated, Triton Sand Filter, 1.5 HP * 1.1 SF = 1.65 SFHP 1-speed Pentair WhisperFlo WF-26 Pump, 400K BTU NG Teledyne Laars Series One Heater, Polaris 360, Test Kit Comparison, Chlorine/CYA Chart, SLAMing Your Pool, OCLT
    A good test kit is an investment, not an expense.

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by BoDarville View Post
    I would keep pH between 7 - 7.2 as the Ascorbic Treatment to rid Pool of metal stains article suggests. This is a temporary measure for a week or so. However, if you are concerned about the SWG, you can turn it off and temporarily chlorinate with liquid bleach. Besides, you do not want to over-chlorinate during the AA treatment.
    Thanks for reply. Maybe I didn't word the question properly. I was wondering if after the process is over can I keep the ph at 7.2 permanently? My reasoning is a lower ph would help with keeping the stains form on the walls again. I thought I read that somewhere.

My concern is would it damage the SWG with a lower ph for extended periods of time?

Thanks
    Brian
    20,000 gallon viking fiberglass pool w/aqua comfort heat pump, pentair whisperflo pump 1.5hp autopilot dig-220 swg w/RC42 cell (42,000), pg2000 fiber optic lights

4. Back To Top    #4

Gigot my ph down to 7.2 last night. Finished the treatment this afternoon. Worked great by the way,went w/ 1 lb. over 20k gallons. Then I added another lb, ran the filter in recirc. For awhile, then after a few hours went back to filtering water.

Oh yeah added 2 quarts of Jacks purple stuff also.

I just tested the ph and TA and it was 7 and 70 respectively. I was surprised,thought the TA would dip a lot lower. So I guess I will monitor them and start raise FC tomorrow.

My CYA is a little low at 60 so I bought 4 lb of stabilizer. According to CYA/ chlorine chart my minimum FC at 60 is 3 so I will add enough bleach to get to 3 ppm or is that too soon?

Also my SWG is off. How long do I add bleach n when do I turn on SWG? I'm assuming when the FC holds?

5. Back To Top    #5

Anyone?

6. Back To Top    #6

You can use the swg. Keeping the pH at 7.2 is fine. However, it would be difficult without keeping the ta very low. I would suggest keeping the pH at about 7.5 to 7.6.

I would suggest adding a quart of poly 60 algaecide to help prevent algae while the chlorine is low.

7. Back To Top    #7

Thanks James, I did throw in a qt of algaecide today. Forgot to mention it

8. Back To Top    #8

Note that algaecide is usually not needed except in situations like this where you have to keep the chlorine low. Also, I would only use poly 60 and not anything else. You should be able to allow the chlorine to come up to the correct level now.