Think it's time to take back my pool...

Slowrider5

Silver Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
May 28, 2015
Indianapolis, IN
Moved in a year or so ago right at pool opening. Prior owner was from family that owned pool business - water was in great shape at opening (crystal clear) - stayed very stable for couple months just popping a few pucks in chlorinator every week. I didn't have time to learn so I was paying pool guy $35 for weekly visit.

There were some iron stains on the bottom of the pool (gunnite). Was advised we needed to lower the chlorine so he could treat them. Took almost a month for FC to drift down to zero from 5. Then pool guy treated for metal stains, which didn't really work, and the water has never been right since.

Water was cloudy for probably a month - finally got clear right at end of season. I have old invoices showing FC was regularly between 0 - .5 and CC was .5 - 2.0 during this time. Closed pool with FC at .5, CC 1.0, TA 120, CH 300, CYA 85 (don't trust his CYA #'s as they jumped around a lot week to week and now I know that was highly unlikely). The pool was clear at the time of closing after a lot of expense from him throwing in bunch of chemicals in the last 6 weeks of the season (Hmm, he mentioned he used to work for Leslie's....).

Opened pool and it was cloudy. Could see maybe 4ft down and it's a sport pool that's 6ft deep in middle.

Opening values from pool guy were:

5/12/2015
pH 7.6
FC 0
TC 0
CC 0
TA 310
CH 430
CYA 0
Pool guy notes: added 4 gal LC and 1 gal acid

5/21/2015
PH 7.2
FC .5
TC 4
CC 3.5
TA 270
CH 360
CYA 0
Pool guy notes: Added 5lbs granular chlor. 6oz Clear and Perfect. Please add 4 Gal LC between visits.

5/28/2015
PH 6.9
FC .5
TC 4
CC 3.50
TA 240
CH 380
CYA 100(?)
Notes: Pool was clearer but not 100%. I had hit it with 4 gal LC between visits as instructed.
Pool guy notes: Added 4 Gal LC and 8lbs soda ash

Pool is currently hazy - regressed a bit from 5/28 pool guy visit. I got frustrated and bought a lot of LC and some test strips. Realized pretty quick those strips are not accurate enough. Tonight I did some digging in pool shed and found a Taylor K-2006 test kit that previous owner left for us (Yes!).

I played around a bit today with LC and test strips and then the K-2006 kit. I won't bother with all the strip results, but after adding in 4 gal of 10% LC in AM and 4 gal 12.5% LC at lunch, and 4 gal 12.5% LC after work, the strips were still reporting low TC and FC.

Here is my first result with the K-2006 kit from 9PM tonight:

PH 7.0
FC 1
CC 4.0
TA 260
CH 400
CYA <30 (I filled up to top of tube and could still faintly make out the black dot). Did the test twice to verify.

Thoughts on what to do next? Is SLAM needed since my water is only hazy? I can currently see main drain at bottom (6ft) but just barely - see picture.

Pump runs 24x7 during the season. Filter has never been backwashed (don't know how to do it). Pool guy reports filter pressure readings as "good" every week.

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_2426.jpg
    IMG_2426.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 724
Welcome to TFP! That is a great idea!

First bring PH up to 7.2, it might take a few tries because you are at the bottom of the scale. I would SLAM after the PH is at 7.2 and add 10ppm of CYA and assume it is 30 unless a test says otherwise, just to be on the safe side. It won't take long and it will get you nice and clear and all set for summer.

I would order new chem's for your k-2006.. who knows how long they have been in there and may be giving you wrong info, they usually last 1 to 2 years...

The reason I say this is if they were using trichlor or dichlor for who knows how long your CYA is probably higher than what is being reported.. If it is under 30 that is awesome..

you can order all fresh chem's from here TFTestkits.net

858.JPG

I'm thinking before I start a SLAM, I'm going to run to aquarium store and get an ammonia test. I was reading some other threads and makes me wonder if there is ammonia in pool since cya is not registering on my test kit (or strips) and the pool seems to have this insatiable demand for FC.

Don't disagree reagents could be old, but going to continue for now with what I got until I get new ones. My results were somewhat close to my pool guy's numbers (though he did not record cya reliably). The pool shed is part of the house so temp wise it was stored in cool/dark place. The kit appears to be brand new.

Slowrider5, pooldv and cowboycasey have rock-solid advice. Cloudiness means something is brewing and it will only get worse. Checking for ammonia won't really solve anything since the TFP recommendation will most-certainly still be to start the SLAM by using regular bleach. If there's ammonia in the pool, the SLAM might take a little longer, but it will still work. Fresh reagents for your K2006 are a good idea, and many of us also use the TF-100 and are very pleased with its results. Best investment I have made for my pool and paid for itself MANY time over. Hang in there and give the TFP method a try. You should be quite pleased with the results. Remember to keep a close eye on your "Recommended Levels" and "Chlorine/CYA chart" comparisons as noted in the links below. Good luck, and have a nice day.

I assume you are firing the pool guy? No one who comes once a week and doesn't really care about your pool will ever do as good a job as you will, looking after it daily. With your new source of knowledge here at TFP you can save loads of cash doing it yourself, and taking pride in a job well done. Welcome to TFP!

Want to check the ammonia first, because I want to have a rock solid understanding of the problem before I start, even if the end result of a slam is still the same.

Plus, since I live in a area outside of town it takes quite a while round-trip to head to the store and back, so I want to better feel of just how much bleach I might start off with.

Ran test using .2ppm multiplier for better granularity. .4 FC. CC was 4.

The Hayward chlorinator is on and there are two floaters in the pool as well. Perhaps that is the only thing that has kept it from going all the way down to zero

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Richard320 said:
The way the FC plunged and the CC jumped when you added the first 4 gallons of bleach pretty much confirms ammonia in my mind.
I'll second that.

I would do a SLAM Process with one modification...Hold off on adding any CYA until chlorine begins to hold. Add FC to 10 ppm and retest every 30 minutes & record your results. Dose FC back up to 10 ppm as needed after each test. Repeat the 30 minute tests until FC is at 4 ppm. At that point, we can say that chlorine begins to hold. Then add CYA back into the pool, targeting a level of 30 ppm. Increase the SLAM FC target to 12 ppm and complete the SLAM as directed in the article until the criteria of "Done" are met. At this point, there is no longer a need to test FC every 30 minutes - just follow the SLAM guidelines for testing.

Modified SLAM has begun....keeping cover closed in between checks and doses to avoid sunlight loss.

4:30 PM Started at .4 FC (assumed it was still here since it had been .4 for a couple readings earlier in day)

5:00 PM 3.2 FC / 2.2 CC

5:30 PM 6.2 FC / 1.6 CC

6:20 PM 9.6 FC / 0.8 CC / Started Adding CYA with measured amount of dichlor

Last edited:
7:15 PM 10.0 FC / 1.5 CC / Ammonia re-check - down to .5

8:00 PM 11.5 FC / 1.5 CC

8:30 PM 13 FC / 2.0 CC (checked it a little soon but was leaving house for upwards of 2 hours)

10:10 PM 7.0 FC / 2.0 CC

11:20 PM 11.5 FC / 2.0 CC / 30-35 CYA (tough to see in the dark - I came inside house to look at it in a lit room).

Dosed it a little higher to 16 for the overnight. On the SLAM page it says you can turn tablet dispenser back on to help maintain FC levels, so I turned the dial to 3.

I noticed filter PSI was reading 32, that seemed higher than I recalled seeing it but never paid much attention in the past. Checked old pool guy invoices - most of last year was around 20. All my invoices from this year only report "good/OK" so I don't know what it has been so far this year.

Overall I suppose things seem to be according to plan and within what I was expecting based on everything I read. Biggest questions I have are why would CC tick back up and is filter PSI a concern? Comments welcome.

Last edited:
From what I understand keeping your pool covered all the time will slow your progress. Exposing your pool to sunlight will help with breaking down CC and allow the pool to outgas.

If normal pressure for your filter is about 20, and it's now 32, I would backwash.

Definitely improvement in clarity since when I started - tough to see in original picture but I uploaded before/current of the steps on the side that help to show additional clarity.

attachment.php
attachment.php

- - - Updated - - -

Definitely improvement in clarity since when I started - lighting wasn't good on comparison to my original straight-on picture so I uploaded before and current of the corner steps that help to show additional clarity.

attachment.php
attachment.php

Definitely improvement in clarity since when I started - tough to see in original picture but I uploaded before/current of the steps on the side that help to show additional clarity.

attachment.php
attachment.php

- - - Updated - - -

Definitely improvement in clarity since when I started - lighting wasn't good on comparison to my original straight-on picture so I uploaded before and current of the corner steps that help to show additional clarity.

attachment.php
attachment.php
You added steps! :mrgreen:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.