Think it's time to take back my pool...

END OF DAY 2 REPORT

3:00 PM 11.5 FC / 1.0 CC

4:50 PM 10.0 FC / 1.0 CC

6:40 PM 10.5 FC / 1.0 CC - Verified CYA is 30-35 (I'd call it 32). Same reading as yesterday.

8:30 PM 12 FC / 1.5 CC

10:00 PM 11.5 FC / 1.0 CC

11:30 PM 12 FC / 1.5 CC - Dose extra up to 16.5 for the night.​

I've got enough reagent of R-0871 for chlorine tests to cover first test of the morning. Order from Amazon won't arrive until Tuesday. Hopefully they've got this at a local Leslie's even if I have to pay thru the nose.

Day 3....

8:00 AM 8.5 FC / 1.0 CC - Dosed up to 18 since could not come home until lunch

12:20 PM 12.5 FC / 1.5 CC

2:20 PM 11.5 FC / 1.0 CC - (estimate - ran out of R-0871 as pink sample was almost clear)

4:45 PM 11.0 FC / 0.5 CC

Noticing some additional clarity - hopefully good sign CC went down. Still losing between 1-1.5ppm FC per hour.

Catching some whiffs of the scent of victory...

6:10 PM 13.5 FC / .5 CC. I've been dosing to 14 so that was only a .5 FC loss in about an hour and a half.

attachment.php

Still chewing thru .5 - 1.0 ppm FC about every 90 mins or so, but noticed an additional level of clarity today. Pictures don't do it justice - but I can see a lot more fine detail of the grates on bottom than what I could see before.

Still chewing thru .5 - 1.0 ppm FC about every 90 mins or so, but noticed an additional level of clarity today. Pictures don't do it justice - but I can see a lot more fine detail of the grates on bottom than what I could see before.
Here's a graph I stole from this thread that shows the rate of FC loss. It looks like 10 FC at 30 CYA will lose about .7 FC to sunlight per hour. You're happenin'!! :party:
https://www.troublefreepool.com/~richardfalk/pool/ChlorineLoss.gif

Still chewing thru FC and have not passed OCLT. Last night overnight loss was about .6ppm per hour.

Whatever is in there has apparently not given up the ghost yet despite the fact the water has been crystal clear for two days. The SLAM continues.....

Hopefully it is a good sign I just had my first 0 CC reading earlier this afternoon, although my most recent check was back up to .5 CC. Before that, I had been at 1.0 CC for a couple days, with an occasional 1.5 CC reading.

Open to any thoughts/feedback.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
In the past, people have discovered hidden algae behind lights and beneath ladders.

Also, if there is a bunch of organic debris inside the filter or the baskets, it will use up FC and can leave CC behind. It's not in the pool anymore, but it's sharing the same water.

Last year someone fought CC for a couple weeks and ultimately discovered his sample bottle was tainted. He was reading what was left in it!

That's all I can think of right now.

In the past, people have discovered hidden algae behind lights and beneath ladders.

Also, if there is a bunch of organic debris inside the filter or the baskets, it will use up FC and can leave CC behind. It's not in the pool anymore, but it's sharing the same water.

Last year someone fought CC for a couple weeks and ultimately discovered his sample bottle was tainted. He was reading what was left in it!

That's all I can think of right now.

Good point, I've been using the same sample water bottle for a while, probably time to switch it up just in case. Just did another reading - lost 1.5 FC per hour but that was in direct sun. CC stayed at .5.

Have cleaned out baskets every other day worst case, rarely much in there since I'm skimming at every check. I discovered the 32 psi was a false reading. I let my pool guy come back one more time as I was going to have him clean filter while I watch and learn. He had idea to check PSI gauge and it appears to be needing replaced. It was reading 32 but when turning off pump it stops at 10, does not go back to zero anymore. So, it would appear PSI is still around 20 like usual but will be replacing gauge.

No stairs but I do have a light. Not sure I like the idea of messing with electricity in water.....

I just got my first true 0ppm ammonia test. Hadn't tested since yesterday morning, but had been getting a slight tinge of green (.25ppm) for a few days after rapidly coming down from 2ppm. Today is a yellow (0ppm) beyond all shadow of a doubt.

Even though the water is clear and I was starting to get frustrated that it's still eating FC, seeing these little chemical improvements in CC and ammonia helps keep the faith so I keep SLAM'ing..

Hmm, wonder if you're onto something with the light. Just took my pool brush and by hand heavily brushed around the light and all kinds of crud came off. I looked closely at a few flecks and definitely had a green tint to them.

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_2447.jpg
    IMG_2447.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 366
don't worry about the "electricity". the whole chassis is water proof. If you have a some screws on the ring, unscrew those and pull the light out, use a magnetic screwdriver if you have one (screws falling into the bottom of the pool ugh). Newer ones, the ring rotates counter clockwise and unlocks the light, you can pull the light and wire slack out and hopefully set it on the pool edge, but enough to get into the cavity with a brush.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.