Would a hyward heater work for my setup?

May 28, 2015
Coquitlam, BC
Hi Everyone,

I purchased a 14x48 intex soft-sided pool last year for the family to enjoy but unfortunately the pool was always "too cold". So I have decided to purchased a pool heater and wanted to aks if my existing pool filter would work?

Pool pump and filter is the OEM and runs at 1000GPH. Is that enough for a Hayward H100 propane heater?
Pool is around 3800 gallons when full.

Also, anything special with the propane hookups?

Thanks in advance.
Angelo

I would upgrade the filter and pump. I would also consider a different and/or higher BTU heater. Different because Hayward does not get great reviews. Higher "BTU because it will heat faster.

The h100 will heat that pool at almost 3 degrees/hour. Plenty fast enough. As mentioned though, the pump may not be enough to get past the flow switch. These heaters can be a bit finicky. The biggest problem I have seen with these is the boards go bad a lot. Most times it is a bad solder connection that can be repaired easily. I do about 3/year. In fact I just sent one back to a guy in PA who sent me his to fix it as he could not find anyone local to do it. I tested it on mine and it worked fine after repair. I really wish Hayward would address their quality issues instead of giving the same old line about being out of warrantee. Anyway, you may or may not be able run this on the pump you have but as to size, it will be more than enough

Thanks for all the responses.

Seems like I will need to get a pump with more flow - 1000GPH will not cut it. Found a nice/cheap Bestway 2500GPH pump that should do the trick.

Seeing that Hayward doesnt have the best reviews, any recommendations?

I wanted the Starite because of the housing. I found one on Craigslist for $200. Unfortunately, that was only last weekend so I cannot offer any feedback on how it works. There is lots of information on the forum though.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.