Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Would a hyward heater work for my setup?

1. Back To Top    #1

Would a hyward heater work for my setup?

Hi Everyone,

I purchased a 14x48 intex soft-sided pool last year for the family to enjoy but unfortunately the pool was always "too cold". So I have decided to purchased a pool heater and wanted to aks if my existing pool filter would work?

Pool pump and filter is the OEM and runs at 1000GPH. Is that enough for a Hayward H100 propane heater?
    Pool is around 3800 gallons when full.

Also, anything special with the propane hookups?

Thanks in advance.
    Angelo

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Would a hyward heater work for my setup?

Hi, welcome to TFP! Page two of this manual shows the flow required for the heater to function.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

I would upgrade the filter and pump. I would also consider a different and/or higher BTU heater. Different because Hayward does not get great reviews. Higher "BTU because it will heat faster.
    Sharkline Reprieve 15x52 (3/14). Still using Intex 2650 Sand Filter with Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 3/4 HP pump (6/15). Solar Cover cut into strips for easy removal, (2) 2*10 Space Saver solar panels. Swim Jet HD Robot (by Aquabot) (3/15). Chlorine Liquidator (4 gal). 4 person hot tub. Hard pipe is the way to go for improved flow! Retired Lil Shark (3/15). Starite Max E Therm 333k BTU Propane Heater w/ 24 gal tank (7/15).

4. Back To Top    #4

TFP Guide

The h100 will heat that pool at almost 3 degrees/hour. Plenty fast enough. As mentioned though, the pump may not be enough to get past the flow switch. These heaters can be a bit finicky. The biggest problem I have seen with these is the boards go bad a lot. Most times it is a bad solder connection that can be repaired easily. I do about 3/year. In fact I just sent one back to a guy in PA who sent me his to fix it as he could not find anyone local to do it. I tested it on mine and it worked fine after repair. I really wish Hayward would address their quality issues instead of giving the same old line about being out of warrantee. Anyway, you may or may not be able run this on the pump you have but as to size, it will be more than enough
    Unknown make 18' above ground (bought used in 1999) Sparco sand filter. Hayward 100,000 BTu heater. 2 speed pump

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks for all the responses.

Seems like I will need to get a pump with more flow - 1000GPH will not cut it. Found a nice/cheap Bestway 2500GPH pump that should do the trick.

Seeing that Hayward doesnt have the best reviews, any recommendations?

6. Back To Top    #6

I wanted the Starite because of the housing. I found one on Craigslist for $200. Unfortunately, that was only last weekend so I cannot offer any feedback on how it works. There is lots of information on the forum though.
    Sharkline Reprieve 15x52 (3/14). Still using Intex 2650 Sand Filter with Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 3/4 HP pump (6/15). Solar Cover cut into strips for easy removal, (2) 2*10 Space Saver solar panels. Swim Jet HD Robot (by Aquabot) (3/15). Chlorine Liquidator (4 gal). 4 person hot tub. Hard pipe is the way to go for improved flow! Retired Lil Shark (3/15). Starite Max E Therm 333k BTU Propane Heater w/ 24 gal tank (7/15).

7. Back To Top    #7

In the Industry

Sorry you are not getting good reviews on Hayward AG equipment. We make many types.
    Hayward Pool Tech
    80+ Years of Technologically Advanced Pool Product Manufacturing
    poolside@haywardnet.com