SWG and TA level

rxn

Sep 10, 2013
From the Pool School article:
> Adjust your Total Alkalinity to 60-80 ppm. (This is IMPORTANT!)

My TA is 140 - Above ground pool with SWG (14k gal). The rest of the chemistry is good - with the exception that I have not tested CH yet (will do tomorrow). I expect that to be around 280-300 given last season results.

My understanding is that having a high TA with SWG will result in constantly rising pH which isn't good for the cell - especially with so much calcium in the water, worse as it gets warm.

I've seen the concept in the forum that the TA range above will help with the rising pH. Last year (first year of the SWG) I had to do a number of acid additions to keep the pH in range. From my logs, I do see that once I got to 80 (from 100) I didn't need any acid (did not have to lower for the last month of the season). So I believe in the concept. The kids like the fountain, too.

But I'm a lot higher in TA now after topping off at open, and then having a kid step on a hose and drain the pool down to the return.

Is there a way to calculate how much total acid I need to add in order to get TA down by 60 ppm (14k gal)?

How much TA rise would I get if I added borates (targeting 30-50ppm)?

Is there a way to calculate how much total acid I need to add in order to get TA down by 60 ppm (14k gal)?
Not that I am aware of. Are you trying to follow the "lowering TA" article in Pool School? If so, you lower the pH down to 7.0 - 7.2 and begin aerating. Once the pH rises back up to around 7.8, repeat the process. Then, test your TA and go from there.

I can sympathize. I have 2 choices on fill water. My well TA is 230 and my municipal water is 280. I finally am down to 90 on my TA. I have not topped off my water as I am letting it lower to install my skimmer. I am going to take my TA to 40-50 then install my skimmer and hope when I add water my TA stays under 100

You can't put but so much MA in the pool at a time. You have to do it gradually over a number of days. It could take a couple of weeks to a month using the aeration technique. That's the only way to raise the PH without raising the TA. Kids in the pool splashing will speed up the aeration process.

so, down at the bottom of pool math there is a section "affects of adding chem's"...

if you put in 128oz/1gal of MA it will drop your TA by 25, so it will take approximately 4 gallons of MA to lower your TA...

With that said, you CAN NOT dump all 4 gallons in at 1 time, you have to drop ph down then raise and drop ph again, over and over until you get to your TA to the correct level.. if your ph is at 7.8 you can put in 64oz of MA to drop your ph to 7.2, then aerate to bring back to 7.8..

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.