Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: HELP!

1. Back To Top    #1

HELP!

New to the pool world. Moved into a house that has a 40 year old fiberglass pool, approximately 25,000 gallons. Last summer never had an issue with the water, I followed pool store guidelines of "shocking" once a week and testing (with strips) daily. Fast forward to this spring...opened pool up after winter, looked fairly good. Water was clear and I "shocked" it and vaccumed. I cannot get the pool to keep chlorine, and now the water is cloudy. So, I have been scouring the net and stumbled upon this site. I ordered a Taylor K-2006 off amazon because it could get here within 2 days. I tested my water and here are my #'s:
    FC- 0
    CC- 0
    PH- 7.0
    TA - 240 (!!!)
    CH - 225
    CYA - 32

Now, I was thinking my CYA could be my culprit for lack of chlorine showing up. But, the level looks ok, maybe slightly low. But, HOLY SMOkES, my TA level is sooo high and PH is low....how does that happen?? And what should I do? I would really appreciate some advice!
    Oh, I might add that we have an automatic pool cover and if the pool is not in use, it is always covered (little kiddos)!

Thanks,
    Kristina
    25K gallon IG Fiberglass pool
    Hayward S240 sand filter and hayward super pump
    Taylor K-2006 test kit

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: HELP!

Welcome to TFP! With your pool getting cloudy. You may need to SLAM

Pool School - SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain

Yes TA is high, but that is another process.

- - - Updated - - -

Also read through this

Pool School - Getting Started

And

Pool School - Pool Chemistry
    Lisa
    Intex AG vinyl 15' x 48" 4,300 gallons due to skimmer install, Krystal Clear SF pump combo 2800 GPH, Krystal Clear SWG, Pool Blaster Max vacuum, Hayward thru the wall skimmer, TF 100 test kit with speed stir, K 1766 Taylor salt test, My SLAM Process

3. Back To Top    #3

Ignore the TA for now. The most important thing to focus on is getting the pool cleared up. The SLAM will do that. Be sure to use plain unscented liquid bleach without any thickeners. Also, ignore pH during the SLAM as the elevated SLAM chlorine levels will skew the results of that test. Once you are done with the SLAM and FC drops below 10 ppm, then you can test and adjust pH as needed.
    Gold Supporter, TFP Lifetime Supporter, 26,680 gal Plaster IGP 3.5 - 10' depth / Attached Waterfall Spa, Manually Chlorinated, Triton Sand Filter, 1.5 HP * 1.1 SF = 1.65 SFHP 1-speed Pentair WhisperFlo WF-26 Pump, 400K BTU NG Teledyne Laars Series One Heater, Polaris 360, Test Kit Comparison, Chlorine/CYA Chart, SLAMing Your Pool, OCLT
    A good test kit is an investment, not an expense.

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks for the replies. How often after adding liquid bleach should I test the FC levels?

5. Back To Top    #5

Welcome! Don't give up - these folks will take good care of ya!
    Replastered 2015: Sunstone Quartz Midnight Blue 16x32 rectangular gunite with in-pool spa....18,000 gallons. Autopilot Total Control System with SWG and acid pump. Pentair Clean & Clear 420. Auto cover. TF-100.

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by Tkhills View Post
    Thanks for the replies. How often after adding liquid bleach should I test the FC levels?
    Every 2-3 hours if you can at first until the chlorine level starts to hold for longer periods and then 2-3 times per day.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

7. Back To Top    #7

Might be a silly question, but do I need to hold the high FC levels for that long? For example, mine says the SLAM # I'm aiming for is 14 to shock. Does that mean I need to keep the FC level at 14 until it no longer drops?

8. Back To Top    #8

In the Industry

SLAM is designed to raise your FC to a high but safe (still swimmable in fact) level for your CYA. You keep it there until everything bad in your pool has been killed/oxidized. You verify that this is complete by meeting the 3 criteria listed in the SLAM article. Dropping your FC before completely following through can lead to higher than normal chlorine demand or a complete relapse and having to start over again.

Good luck with your SLAM, and welcome to TFP.

From my HTC One via Tapatalk
    JD - 28' Round Above Ground Pool, 17,000 Gallons. Dual speed Jacuzzi pump with cartridge filter. Dual speed 1 HP pump, Hayward S210T sand filter
    Pool School - PoolMath - HIGHLY Recommended Test Kits

9. Back To Top    #9

Yes, your SHOCK number is 12 for 30 CYA, at 14 or slightly above to maintain the killing effect of the chlorine( will account for losses until next test ). That is why you test often. Re-read the SLAM. under 1.0 FC loss overnight, under 0.5 CC and clear water.
    13700 gal, 32'x16'x54" AG oval, vinyl, Echo Canyon II, 8500 series, Narrow Yard, Safety Fence & Stair, Sta-Rite Crystal Flow T-210WF, 44 GPM, Hayward SP1580TL 1HP Pump, Aqua Luminator, Festiva wedding cake steps, March 2006, TFT-100, Speed-Stir, Sample Sizer. Avatar Credit: TJ Townsend

10. Back To Top    #10

I Started the SLAM process and used the pool math calculator. I added the appropriate oz of bleach at 8 am. Just went out at 10:40 am and checked the FC level and it is only at a 1...and CC is 1. Do I need to go out and add another 481 oz of bleach (8.25%)? Is it normal to use this much?

11. Back To Top    #11

TFP Guide

Yes, it is very normal when beginning a SLAM your FC is being used up fast as it is consuming organic material. Just keep adding every time you are below your SLAM target level.
    Lisa
    Intex AG vinyl 15' x 48" 4,300 gallons due to skimmer install, Krystal Clear SF pump combo 2800 GPH, Krystal Clear SWG, Pool Blaster Max vacuum, Hayward thru the wall skimmer, TF 100 test kit with speed stir, K 1766 Taylor salt test, My SLAM Process

12. Back To Top    #12

I am making progress! My pool is getting clearer, still not sparkling. My CC is 0.5 and my FC is not being used up quite as fast. I'm hoping just another day or so until it's ready to swim in. My kids are not happy that they can't swim!

13. Back To Top    #13

TFP Guide

Great to hear! I know my daughter was very mad when I would not let her swim. Sh is happy now though that she can swim everyday if she wants to.
    Lisa