High TA need to lower to start adding borates. Help!!

May 3, 2015
Savannah, GA
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
I've read the positives of borates and I want to add them but I am so afraid lol. Here's why.
Here are my results from a few moments ago.
FC 4.5
CC 0
pH 7.6
TA 110
CH 60
CYA 40 took forever

I read I need my TA between 60-80 to start adding borates with muriatic acid and borax.
I have a therapy spa jet going and aerating.

Can you long time TFP people help me out.
My tap water TA was high obviously I've not added anything to increase TA.
I have added 18 oz of muriatic acid since pool build and fill to control pH.

I ordered borate test strips they will be here Thursday.

I need tips on lowering TA and what level is ok to start adding borates.
I do not want to drop my pH to low. I'm unsure the safe low level.

What is the swimming rule during this process also.

Another thing I see run pump while adding muriatic acid but a pool care video I watched said leave pump off 3-4 hours after adding muriatic acid.
I'm so confused.

Lots of questions I know but I wanna do this right!!!!!

24 ft round 52 in deep Evolution CLX 13,000 gal, hayward S180T sand filter & 1 hp Power-flo Matrix single spd, TFP method BBB, taylor K-2006 kit

According to research.
Lower chlorine usage
pH is more stable
Water sparkles and is clearer and softer
Reduced algae growth

That is my reasoning.
I am trying really hard to take care of this pool and keep water looking and feeling great.

24 ft round 52 in deep Evolution CLX 13,000 gal, hayward S180T sand filter & 1 hp Power-flo Matrix single spd, TFP method BBB, taylor K-2006 kit

I like the borates in my pool! Use acid and poolmath to lower PH to 7.2, aerate to bring it up to 7.8, repeat. See if you can get to 80.

It is safe to swim when:
Chlorine level is between minimum and shock level for your CYA
PH is between 7.2 and 7.8
Water is clear

That's what I was thinking step by step. I didn't think I could do all at once. This is gonna take a while.

I've been in the process of lowering TA for a couple of weeks now for the same reason of eventually adding borates. My tap water has TA of 180 and I had to dump a bunch of water to get rid of cya so my TA was around 150 when I started. I have it down to 90 now and it's starting to hang. It seems like it was faster moving in the beginning and now it's getting more difficult to move the needle. It just takes time. I did build on a PVC spout that I connect to my return with holes drilled into the end cap to help stimulate more aeration. That helped a lot more than just turning the eyeballs up. This thread is helpful in getting going on it: My aerator - Page 2 . There are no short cuts. You have to do the MA and aeration, don't try to add borax etc to bring up PH you'll just spin your wheels. Just keep ratcheting down TA with MA and bumping PH with aeration. Hopefully, it'll work faster for you than me:)

I'm aerating now to get ph up for the morning then I'm going to do a good dose of MA. From what I read it's ok to drop ph to 7.0-7.2 and aerate as it lowers TA little each time. So I guess I aerate while the MA is mixing? Pool is clear and my ph has been easy to maintain but I've not even tried lowering TA. This will be interesting.

I leave pump running while adding MA. I also do a pretty vigorous brushing of the pool sides and bottom to help stir it up. Not sure if either is necessary but it can't hurt... I was told about 15 minutes in another thread before swimming after a MA dump.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I thought so too about brushing and stirring up water after adding MA.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.