Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Sta Rite Dyna Glass Pump wont prime.

1. Back To Top    #1

In the Industry

Sta Rite Dyna Glass Pump wont prime.

I have a Sta rite Dyna Glass pump that only runs a water fall. It feeds from a skimmer, When I opened the pool it worked fine, but now I can not get it to prime or suck up any water, I do not believe I have any suction side leak.

What parts of this pump fail. I was just going to put new seals in in tomorrow or Monday and see it if solves the problem.
    25k 20x40 Gunite w/ integrated Spa & Caribbean Blue Plaster, Curved Bluestone Coping, Deck Jets
    Pentair Easy Touch/Wireless, Sta-Rite Intellipro SRVS Pump, Intellibrite Lights, & Pentair IC40 Cell, Sta-Rite 450sf Cartridge filter
    Heated from Central Boiler - Outdoor Wood Furnace & Triangle Tube Max Heat Exchanger
    ColorQ Pro
    TF-100

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Sta Rite Dyna Glass Pump wont prime.

Hello,
    They're pretty reliable check the lid seal, clean/lubed. You need to add some water to the basket for the initial prime.
    Here's the link to the Owners Manual: http://www.pentairpool.com/pdfs/Dyna...MaxPumpsOM.pdf
    17K Kidney Shaped Pool Concrete (Diamond Bright) Pool, 3/4 hp 2 speed 115V Sta-rite Duraglas PEA5D-180L/P2R5D-181L (Impeller C105-92PS Diffuser C1-216P), 1.5 piping, Pentair CC100 Filter , Heat Siphon 100K BTU Heat Pump Pool Heater, Flow meter Blue White Flowmeter Model No. F-30150P, Hayward Astrolight SP0581N, SWCG CalimarTitanium Edition TE45 , Dolphin Nautilus Plus with CleverClean, Lakeland Florida

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

Quote Originally Posted by bobodaclown View Post
    Hello,
    They're pretty reliable check the lid seal, clean/lubed. You need to add some water to the basket for the initial prime.
    Here's the link to the Owners Manual: http://www.pentairpool.com/pdfs/Dyna...MaxPumpsOM.pdf

Thanks, I have filled with water, lubed the top oring and even took the stainless ring off and lubed the seals there and the impeller spins freely.

Am going to check again for major suction leaks at fittings.... but am at a loss here as it worked, then stopped working.
    25k 20x40 Gunite w/ integrated Spa & Caribbean Blue Plaster, Curved Bluestone Coping, Deck Jets
    Pentair Easy Touch/Wireless, Sta-Rite Intellipro SRVS Pump, Intellibrite Lights, & Pentair IC40 Cell, Sta-Rite 450sf Cartridge filter
    Heated from Central Boiler - Outdoor Wood Furnace & Triangle Tube Max Heat Exchanger
    ColorQ Pro
    TF-100

4. Back To Top    #4

Something changed. What's happening to the water that you put into the basket? Is it getting sucked in?
    17K Kidney Shaped Pool Concrete (Diamond Bright) Pool, 3/4 hp 2 speed 115V Sta-rite Duraglas PEA5D-180L/P2R5D-181L (Impeller C105-92PS Diffuser C1-216P), 1.5 piping, Pentair CC100 Filter , Heat Siphon 100K BTU Heat Pump Pool Heater, Flow meter Blue White Flowmeter Model No. F-30150P, Hayward Astrolight SP0581N, SWCG CalimarTitanium Edition TE45 , Dolphin Nautilus Plus with CleverClean, Lakeland Florida

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

The water in the pump basket fills then goes down about 40 feet to the skimmer. The drop is about 3-4 feet. I have blown air through the pipe both ways and it seems fine. At first there seemed to be a clog. We had a couple large frogs that jumped into the other skimmer, but cleaned those out.

When I first opened the pool it was really dirty and full of leaves. I got most cleaned up and started filtering. There are two pumps and this one is seperate just for a waterfall. It did prime after filling with water first and then I left and came back a week later and it would not prime.

B
    ColorQ Pro
    TF-100

6. Back To Top    #6

When you take the lid off the pump. There should be enough water to cover the impeller inlet, that will normally give enough prime. Is there an air bleeder on the filter after the pump? Have you tried opening that? I wonder if the impeller is clogged?

7. Back To Top    #7

Also check the impeller inlet for something that may have stuck in there.

Also, blowing air into the lines is not a very good way to find a clog because air can easily travel through very tight spaces. Try back flushing from the pump to the skimmer using a garden hose wrapped in a wet rag.

But the issue sounds like either an impeller clog or a line clog.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater