Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: De backwash valve stuck?

1. Back To Top    #1

De backwash valve stuck?

At the bottom of my filter is the backwash plug. 3 years ago I replaced that with a ball valve and hooked a backwash hose to make it easy to backwash. Shut off pump, open air valve, bump, open backwash valve to dispose of dirty de. Run pump for a little to clear extra gunk until water runs clear. I have done this for years. This year I had trouble opening the valve for backwash. I didn't force it so I got a pair of pliers and slowly tried to move it. It broke off and then 5 hours later after struggling to remove a broken valve bought another and replace it. Smooth sailing, I thought... Until I just tried normal backwash procedure and it is stuck again!!! What is happening !!!! Should I loosen bolts on filter ?? If I break another I will lose my mind.
    17x32 Legacy Pool / Deck built around entire pool / Hayward EC40C92S Perflex 1-Horsepower Extended-Cycle D.E. Filter / Dolphin DX-3 / GLI Cyclone Solar Cover Reel / TF100 Test Kit/Raypak 266k BTU Cupro Nickel Gas Heater

Pool/Deck Install Finished Finally!!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: De backwash valve stuck?

I just fixed it. Incase anyone was wondering or maybe if someone has this problem in the future I will post the simple fix below.

Apparently when a lever with a ball valve is too tight and it won't turn with your hand or with an easy tug of a wrench (with the handle off obviously) all you need to do is loosen the hand tighten junction piece that is connecting the two parts slightly, maybe 1/8 of a turn. I had it too tight so there wasn't enough give to let the ball valve open and properly backwash the filter. Basically, I am too strong lol!

I also like to think that the pool gods smiled on me here because I just ordered my tf100 kit today.
    17x32 Legacy Pool / Deck built around entire pool / Hayward EC40C92S Perflex 1-Horsepower Extended-Cycle D.E. Filter / Dolphin DX-3 / GLI Cyclone Solar Cover Reel / TF100 Test Kit/Raypak 266k BTU Cupro Nickel Gas Heater

3. Back To Top    #3

Cheap ball valves swell over time, this is why we suggest using the neverlube style pool valve
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by Isaac-1 View Post
    Cheap ball valves swell over time, this is why we suggest using the neverlube style pool valve
    Thanks for the info- they look great.