Can bubbles in return be caused by leak in return side?

dm8

May 25, 2015
Philadelphia, PA
I have bubbles in the pool return. No air in the pump tank w/strainer. No "extra" air in filter when I bleed it. I've already replaced the o-ring in the pump basket and water level is fine.

I do have a small leak on the return side in my water clarifier that I've never used. Could a leak cause air to be pulled in? What else should I be looking at? I'm stumped!

Hesitant to call a professional just yet.

Good question. I don't believe so. Loss I've experienced to date seems normal for early and late season with warm days and cooler nights. There is no visible signs around the pool or the equipment except for the one leak I've mentioned.

dm8, the bubbles you are referring to (from the return), are they like champagne-sized bubbles from your return jets? I have those, mainly from either one or two of my 6-total returns. Normally when we think of air entering the system, it's from the suction side since a compromise on the pressure side should result in a leak externally. Anyways, I have yet to pinpoint any real problem. I've finally decided (tried) to put my own personal OCD to rest for a little bit and figured, as long as my pump is not losing prime, the system is running well, and I'm not seeing any outrageous changes in my system, it's just fine. :) If curiosity continues to get the best of you, you can always continue to check your suction-side external parts/plumbing with the shaving cream and/or water test.

It would take a very odd circumstance for air to be drawn in on the pressure side.

While I do not see it in your signature, I will mention it for any future readers. A SWG can cause air bubbles to come out of the jets, but only when the cell is generating and usually only if the return line is pretty short to the pool.

If you don't use the clarifier you might consider removing it. Also suggest that you check plumbing connections. I had mystery bubbles in my supply that I traced to a bad plumbing joint. I applied generous amount of PVC glue and temporarily solved problem. Ultimately I replaced inline chlorinator and plumbing lines between filter where return entered the ground. I am not a great DIY type but PVC plumbing is pretty easy to do. Leak detection is a trail and error process. I also had an unrelated underground water leak on the return side but that is a different tale. Hope this is helpful.

Another possibility is solar. If you have solar on top of a roof with a VRV installed and your filter gets too dirty (i.e. high pressure rise), air can enter the VRV.

dm8, the bubbles you are referring to (from the return), are they like champagne-sized bubbles from your return jets?
Yes, mostly they are champagne sized (assuming the pool is a giant glass). But them do remind me of that now that you said it.

If curiosity continues to get the best of you, you can always continue to check your suction-side external parts/plumbing with the shaving cream and/or water test.
Can you provide a link to those tests? Hadn't heard of either. Thanks in advance!

- - - Updated - - -

Do you have a salt system?

No, we don't a have salt water system.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.