Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Store says Increase CH in vinyl pool

1. Back To Top    #1

Store says Increase CH in vinyl pool

I have a vinyl pool my calcium hardness is only 70 I am being told to raise it because ideal 200 -400 and min.is 100 . they say if you don't it will eat up my ladders and any parts of metal in the pool is that correct. can anyone give the truth.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Store says Increase CH in vinyl pool

Quote Originally Posted by brundel View Post
    I have a vinyl pool my calcium hardness is only 70 I am being told to raise it because ideal 200 -400 and min.is 100 . they say if you don't it will eat up my ladders and any parts of metal in the pool is that correct. can anyone give the truth.
    For vinyl pools, CH is largely irrelevant. 50 to 350 is fine for a vinyl pool, even higher is fine too. Lies, lies and ****ed lies. No reason to raise your CH.
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons

3. Back To Top    #3

They do not know what they are talking about. Your CH is fine.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

Calcium hardness and the various saturation indices that are calculated using CH values (CSI and LSI) have absolutely nothing to do with metal corrosion. See this thread for a very detailed discussion. This is the money-quote (emphasis and abridgment added for brevity) -

These indices do nothing more than predict saturation of the water with calcium carbonate...... These indices do not predict metal corrosion whatsoever. When one refers to water being "corrosive" in terms of these indices, it is only in reference to the dissolving of calcium carbonate as a component of plaster (plaster is mostly calcium oxide in a hydrated silicate).
    So the Pool Store is telling you a bunch of baloney about corrosion. And, as stated in the many replies, your CH is absolutely fine for a vinyl pool.
    Last edited by JoyfulNoise; 05-29-2015 at 05:14 PM. Reason: shortening quote and typos
    Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

5. Back To Top    #5

Supporting what the other responders have stated...

Your CH is fine - no need to adjust it.
    Gold Supporter, TFP Lifetime Supporter, 26,680 gal Plaster IGP 3.5 - 10' depth / Attached Waterfall Spa, Manually Chlorinated, Triton Sand Filter, 1.5 HP * 1.1 SF = 1.65 SFHP 1-speed Pentair WhisperFlo WF-26 Pump, 400K BTU NG Teledyne Laars Series One Heater, Polaris 360, Test Kit Comparison, Chlorine/CYA Chart, SLAMing Your Pool, OCLT
    A good test kit is an investment, not an expense.

6. Back To Top    #6

TFP Guide

I concur with the other. My recommendation would be to buy your own recomended test kit and stay away from the pool store.
    Lisa
    Intex AG vinyl 15' x 48" 4,300 gallons due to skimmer install, Krystal Clear SF pump combo 2800 GPH, Krystal Clear SWG, Pool Blaster Max vacuum, Hayward thru the wall skimmer, TF 100 test kit with speed stir, K 1766 Taylor salt test, My SLAM Process

7. Back To Top    #7

I've had zero ch for 5 years and have had absolutely no problems. I started it as a test, and I think 5 years is a pretty good test.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

8. Back To Top    #8

hummm... I trying to thing of something of something brilliant or dazzling to say, but its Saturday morning and I have to think too hard at work, so Im taking a break on thinking.
    So, in regard to your vinyl pool needing CH, I will just say 'hogwash'!
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

9. Back To Top    #9

Too bad you're so far away. You could come over with an empty bucket and get some of my pool water and raise the CH in your pool for free.

It might be interesting to note that auto manufacturers prefer there be no Calcium in the radiator coolant. And they deal with interesting combinations of iron, steel, brass, copper, and aluminum.

The pool store clerk is just following the preprinted guidelines. You need Calcium because people with plaster pools need Calcium and the pool store needs the sale.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by Richard320 View Post
    Too bad you're so far away. You could come over with an empty bucket and get some of my pool water and raise the CH in your pool for free.
    That is hilarious!

30K gallon IG vinyl. 1.5HP 2-speed Waterway Mustang pump. 600 lb sand filter. Polaris 280. Circupool SI-60+. TF-100

11. Back To Top    #11

I added calcium to my liner pool. Fill water was CH 20, so when water was balanced I still had a CSI of -1.11. The quoted article seems to discuss positive CSI values. I understand the need for calcium in a plaster pool, however, I had believed that the CSI was of some value when considering a vinyl pool and associated hardware. Is that not the case?

12. Back To Top    #12

You can not leech calcium out of vinyl, so low CSI does not matter.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

13. Back To Top    #13

OK, got that, but maybe I need to ask this question, instead: "Is there any index to describe the aggressiveness of pool water towards metals, such as those found in pumps, filters, heaters, etc?"

14. Back To Top    #14

Store says Increase CH in vinyl pool

Quote Originally Posted by ewkearns View Post
    OK, got that, but maybe I need to ask this question, instead: "Is there any index to describe the aggressiveness of pool water towards metals, such as those found in pumps, filters, heaters, etc?"
    See the link in my previous post. That thread has a detailed discussion of different indices and has some web links to external sites on corrosion of metal.

Problem with metal corrosion indices is that they are specific to different metals and their alloys and usually require the measurement of dissolved oxygen, sulfur compounds and other chemicals that one does not typically test for in pool water. They are also typically specific to closed water systems (steam boilers etc) and not open systems like pools.

Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

15. Back To Top    #15

Don't believe the pool store. I had this exact same issue too. I now have a bucket of CH that just sits there.
    20x40 L-shape 35k gallons, Pentair FNS 60 SQFT DE Filter, Pentair Multi-port Valve, Hayward Super Pump w/1 glorious HP, Vinyl Liner, Dolphin Z5, TF-100 w/Speed Stir