Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Problem with Pool Cover strong plastic smell

1. Back To Top    #1

Oakland, CA

Problem with Pool Cover strong plastic smell

I have a vinyl based pool cover. Whenever it is sunny or just warm, the cover starts to emit a very strong smell of burned plastic. It goes away as soon as the cover is rolled up or when it is gray or the sun is out.

The reseller keeps telling us (without coming to check) that it must be the water, but somehow I find it hard to believe.

Has anyone had any similar experience with their pool cover ?

18,000 gals in-ground pool built in 1960s, 12*30ft, gunite, chlorine, hayward ecostar pump

2. Back To Top    #2
    Lakeland, FL

Re: Problem with Pool Cover strong plastic smell

WhenI first got mine it had that new plastic smell. It sounds like it's just outgassing. Outgassing - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    17K Kidney Shaped Pool Concrete (Diamond Bright) Pool, 3/4 hp 2 speed 115V Sta-rite Duraglas PEA5D-180L/P2R5D-181L (Impeller C105-92PS Diffuser C1-216P), 1.5 piping, Pentair CC100 Filter , Heat Siphon 100K BTU Heat Pump Pool Heater, Flow meter Blue White Flowmeter Model No. F-30150P, Hayward Astrolight SP0581N, SWCG CalimarTitanium Edition TE45 , Lakeland Florida

3. Back To Top    #3
    Houston, Texas

Yes, outgassing. The smell will stay until it stops outgassing. The more it is open and exposed to the sun the quicker the process will complete.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4
    upstate New York

I wish mine smelled like plastic. I had it piled up next to the pool and the neighbor's cats have been peeing on it.
    22,000 gal IG, vinyl liner, 1/2 hp Hayward pump, Hayward sand fillter
    TF-100 test kit
    upstate NY