Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: I'm a COMPLETE IDIOT now please help me.

1. Back To Top    #1

Lightbulb I'm a COMPLETE IDIOT now please help me.

Hello and greetings everyone....

Here's my story,

Second year pool owner, used BBB all last year with great success. Opened the pool this year three weeks ago and accidentally dropped some leaves in the Semi clear water. Brought the filter and pump up from the basement, put brand new sand in and started running it. Next day GREEN as it could get. Tested ok but not bad so I shocked it for two days solid......GREEN, checked my numbers and I was still in "Shock" range. After three weeks very cloudy and green. I was scrubbing and brushing every day! Thought it was possibly my Taylor test kit so I broke down and took a sample to the pool store. Water tested perfect (Still in shock)....I was starting to thing you BBB guys and gals are CRAZY. Today when I went out there I noticed I had a small air leak so I tightened the fitting. And decided to backwash while I was there. When I moved the Handle to backwash the water rushed towards the pool. Wait, WHAT, thats not supposed to happen. After looking things over for bit I noticed that when i put the head on I hooked the return up to the backwash and it has been "Backwashing" for three weeks straight into the pool.

I now have it hooked up correctly and two hours later its still green. Where should I go from here? Just keep shocking it?

2. Back To Top    #2

Central Illinois

Re: I'm a COMPLETE IDIOT now please help me.

First question, how much filter sand is still in the filter? If it's low, add some and start from scratch I guess.
    Viking Maui 2300g fiberglass in ground pool in a screened room with polycarbonate roof. 45gpm pump with sand filter manually chlorinated. Entire pool water can cycle in 51 minutes. Jacuzzi 336g hot tub with ozonator, manually chlorinated. TF 100 test kit with speed stir. Fungi pronounced Fun Guy, I'm Jim

3. Back To Top    #3
    Mod Squad
    DFW, TX

Hey, we've all made our share of pool mistakes!

You've got a green pool it is time to Pool School - SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain your pool.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

4. Back To Top    #4
    South-Central Texas, Marion/San Antonio

BMark, it happens to the best of us. No worries. One thing at a time. After you answer Fungi's question, consider telling us the following:
    1 - What test set do you have?
    2 - How exactly are you "shocking". At TFP, we "SLAM" - see link below.

We really need good test readings before going too much further. Consider reviewing all the links below in my signature to assist you. Finally, please modify your profile signature to include your pool info for everyone else to see as they chime-in with replies. We'll get you back on track!
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!