Run backwash hose back into pool

OK, before you think I'm nuts (why would anyone want to backwash INTO the pool), I am awaiting a repair to my multiport valve, and cannot run my pump on any valve setting, because water keeps coming out of my backwash hose.

Is there any reason I can't continue to run my pump on FILTER, and allow the water coming out of the backwash hose to drain back into the pool? It may be several days before my valve is fixed, and I'm worried that without any circulation, I will end up with an algae bloom.

Or would I be better off just adding bleach, and brushing well, to try to "stir it up"? I'm afraid of adding chlorine to a vinyl pool with no circulation.

I think that you could do that although I would put the hose in the skimmer so any dirt would go directly back to the filter.

I highly encourage you to fix this issue yourself. It is most likely a diverter gasket which is one of the easiest repairs in all of pooldom. Your other option would be to install a valve on the backwash line which is nice to have in case this pops up in the future. Again, a very easy fix to pull off on your own.

As for your question, there is no issue with that although you'll probably be introducing some funk from your usually stagnant backwash line. Just keep your FC where it needs to be.

spishex said:
I highly encourage you to fix this issue yourself. It is most likely a diverter gasket which is one of the easiest repairs in all of pooldom. Your other option would be to install a valve on the backwash line which is nice to have in case this pops up in the future. Again, a very easy fix to pull off on your own.

As for your question, there is no issue with that although you'll probably be introducing some funk from your usually stagnant backwash line. Just keep your FC where it needs to be.

I know I could most likely fix this myself, but I just don't have the confidence! So I'm going to watch the person I hired to do this, so that when it happens again, I will do it myself!

An update...Got the multiport valve fixed this morning! It didn't even need a new gasket, the handle just needed to be lubed with some WD-40 so it would move properly and seat itself. I watched the repair guy do the whole thing, and it was so easy! He showed me how to replace the gasket myself when the time comes. He brought a new spider gasket with him, so I bought it from him, and paid him for his service call, and all is good!

And I didn't even end up with a green pool, thanks to the 30-40 degree nighttime temps, and a little bleach poured in a couple of times.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.