Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: What do you store your de in?

1. Back To Top    #1

What do you store your de in?

I use a large Rubbermaid container, always have a mask on when scooping and dealing with de. I heard if you inhale it it can sit in your lungs forever. Not sure on that but it scared me lol.
    17x32 Legacy Pool / Deck built around entire pool / Hayward EC40C92S Perflex 1-Horsepower Extended-Cycle D.E. Filter / Dolphin DX-3 / GLI Cyclone Solar Cover Reel / TF100 Test Kit/Raypak 266k BTU Cupro Nickel Gas Heater

Pool/Deck Install Finished Finally!!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: What do you store your de in?

inhaling is bad ... not sure it stays forever though.

I just leave it in the box it comes in and pour out what I need.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

I put it in a clorine puck container that is empty.
    Quote Originally Posted by jblizzle View Post

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by peteb48 View Post
    I put it in a clorine puck container that is empty.
    Hi what's chlorine puck container?
    11,000 gal (21' round) AG
    DE EC40

5. Back To Top    #5

Lightbulb Re: What do you store your de in?

Quote Originally Posted by jblizzle View Post

See silicosis.

But realistically speaking, you need long-term, repeated exposures to DE to be at risk, so more like someone who works in a DE processing facility. In the typical outdoor pool scenario, you can easily avoid exposure to dust and remove yourself quickly from an area with DE dust in the air by simply remaining up-wind. If you wear a low-cost, painter's dust mask and practice good DE handling procedures (mixing small quantities with pool water prior to additions, etc), then the risks of developing any form of silicosis is quite low.

The main problem with DE and DE filters is improper disposal of spent DE and not having a proper separation tank installed (some jurisdictions don't require separation tanks). If you discharge DE onto your property and if it is not properly held down by the local soil conditions, then wind patterns can pick up DE dust and blow it around.

As for containers, transferring DE from it's primary container to a secondary storage container is not the best strategy. Leaving it in the package it came in is the best bet. If you want to put a secondary container around the original package, then I would suggest a wooden box or some other material over plastic as the plastic can develop static and the DE dust can stay on the plastic surface.

Just my two cent, dime-store opinion...
    Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

6. Back To Top    #6

Thanks for the info JoyfulNoise. I choose to put it in another container because where I buy it it comes in a big dog food like bag. Horrible for sealing and storing. I do wear a low cost painters dust mask I just read that story once about inhaling and every time I think I get some in my face I freak out temporarily. Haha!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by 21 footer View Post
    Hi what's chlorine puck container?
    I think he means an old 3" tablet container. They are tall and round and large. He obviously doesnt use them anymore because he doesn't use pucks with bleach . My puck container is nice as well with a twist locking lid, I might start using it in the near future. Thanks for the idea peteb48.
    17x32 Legacy Pool / Deck built around entire pool / Hayward EC40C92S Perflex 1-Horsepower Extended-Cycle D.E. Filter / Dolphin DX-3 / GLI Cyclone Solar Cover Reel / TF100 Test Kit/Raypak 266k BTU Cupro Nickel Gas Heater

Pool/Deck Install Finished Finally!!