New Opening Need Chemical Check

May 29, 2015
Richmond, KY
Just opened pool (pool company did this). Left town for 1 week right after. Have test results. Can you tell me how we are doing and what we need to do? I think the CYA needs to be lowered, everything else "OK" but maybe not ideal. Signature should show details but since I am new:
15,000 gal, 24' AG vinyl pool, Hayward Perflex Extended Cycle DE Filter; Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 1.5 HP Pump. Installed in 2012. Using TF-100 kit:
FC 10
CC 0
TC 10
Calcium 250 ppm
Alkalinity 120
CYA > 100 (approx. 120)
Taylor's Kit CL 5; Ph 7.2

Let me know if I am missing any info.

Thanks!

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

How did you estimate a CYA of 120ppm? The lines on the vial are logarithmic.
You certainly need to replace at least half the water to lower the CYA level.
Also remember the pH test is not valid when the FC > 10ppm.

Using the TF-100 Test Kit, the vial shows only up to 100....my results were in excess of that. So, I should drop my water level by half - even with a vinyl pool? Then retest? Thanks for the reminder about the PH level not valid if FC>10 ppm. Otherwise, looking ok?

How does your water look?

The numbers look good except the CYA. You do need to lower that and the only way is to remove and replace water. Use Pool Math to tell you how much. It is safe with a vinyl liner. Just do not go more than 50%. That might mean you need to do it twice but better safe than sorry.

Let us know how it goes.

Kim

Howdy, howdy. If you are curious to know exactly what your CYA level is so you can roughly estimate how much water to replace, you can mix 50% distilled water with 50% pool water, perform the standard test, and then double the result. That will get you to a reading of 200 max. If your levels are still higher than that, well...you're in trouble. ;) Good luck.

Howdy, howdy. If you are curious to know exactly what your CYA level is so you can roughly estimate how much water to replace, you can mix 50% distilled water with 50% pool water, perform the standard test, and then double the result. That will get you to a reading of 200 max. If your levels are still higher than that, well...you're in trouble. ;) Good luck.

The vial in the test kit only shows up to 100. I did the 50%/50% and black dot not visible at 80. So is my CYA 80 or possible 180? Yikes! Had the pool company check today and they showed 170 and told my husband that's not too bad, and the rain we are getting should help lower it...May be,,,but seems like it would take a WHOLE LOT of rain...and I do not live in an area that is getting super heavy rain/flooding. Help???

- - - Updated - - -

NEVERMIND... I should have re-read the replies before I posted. so I double 70 - means my CYA is around 140,,,short of the 170 quoted by pool company. Still...............We plan to drop by 50%,,,,recheck and drop again if needed. Hate to take it lower and potentially damage liner.

The vial in the test kit only shows up to 100. I did the 50%/50% and black dot not visible at 80. So is my CYA 80 or possible 180? Yikes! Had the pool company check today and they showed 170 and told my husband that's not too bad, and the rain we are getting should help lower it...May be,,,but seems like it would take a WHOLE LOT of rain...and I do not live in an area that is getting super heavy rain/flooding. Help???

I have dropped the water level by 50% and refilled. My CYA is now 80 (1/2 of what it was, yeahhhh). I think we will leave it there for now, maybe drop it again in late summer to "cool off the water"! Until then, if I keep FC around 10 it should be effective, correct? I have a whole big bucket of Tri-chlor, but I am thinking of selling it off at a yard sale, and move now to bleach!!! Thanks to all - I am sure I will be back!!!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.