Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Anyone familiar with an aerial easement?

1. Back To Top    #1

Anyone familiar with an aerial easement?

I have a 10' utility easement in the back of my property. There is another line on the survey that is 5' from that labeled 5' x 20' A.E.

I understand that this is a aerial easement but there is some confusion about what it means exactly. I know that it's for the electric company in case they want to add power lines in the future (currently there are none).

My patio structure is designed to currently go all the way to the 10' utility easement (which would be 5' past the aerial easement). The height of the patio will be about 13.5'. My (uneducated) understanding was that the 20' portion of the aerial easement means that you cannot build anything past that line that is GREATER than 20' tall. So a 13.5' patio cover should be okay?

Any thoughts?

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Anyone familiar with an aerial easement?

Seems that you would get better information talking to the government authority than a bunch of pool owners
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Yeah. Lol. I have a call into Texas-New Mexico Power, but they haven't been helpful so far. It seems like a simple problem to me. That 20' means something significant on my survey. It wouldn't make sense if it is a restriction on anything 20 feet and below because that would mean you couldn't even build an ant hill. I have to think it means the restriction is 20 feet and above. I was hopeful somebody on here might have dealt with this while I stress out that my entire project is in jeopardy while waiting for the power company to get back me.

4. Back To Top    #4

This is from Centerpoint.
    Q: What is an aerial easement?
    A: An aerial easement is similar to an imaginary alphabet letter “T”. The ground easement would
    be the area at the base of the “T” and the portion above the top of the “T” would be an area referred to as the aerial easement area. The aerial easement is designed to maintain a safe distance from the wires, which will move from side to side when the wind blows.
    IG ~12000 gallon 1988 freeform pool with IG spa, Hayward equip, Ecostar pump. Remodel done: NPT Arctic 1x2 tile in Lagoon w/ gray thinset & Light Pewter grout, French Gray PebbleSheen w/ grey fittings, Leuders buff eased edge limestone coping w/ Light Buff mortar, buff mastic

5. Back To Top    #5

TFP Guide

That is correct. The aerial easement is the reason we had to flip our house design when we built. One side of our home has the one story garage and driveway. We wanted it on the east side of our lot. Opposite of the garage is the two story side of the house. It could not be on the west side of the lot because of the aerial easement on the west. So the garage and driveway are on the west side of the lot, since the garage roof doesn't cross up into the aerial easement.

We also have an aerial easement running along the back of our lot, but the pool doesn't interfere with it. Take care! Suz.
    Suz~Cypress area~ 2015 pool build. 23K gallons. IG swcg system. 35'x18'; 573sf; 104' perim; depth 4'-7'. Bubblers, sheer descents, 7' spa. Jandy: color LEDs; 2HP 2sp pump; 1HP 2sp pump; spa pump; 580 cartridge; 400K BTU; Dolphin M500; PS8; Inline chlorinator not used; Aqua Pure 1400. Blue Granite Sheen. Travertine deck. Lightstreams Peacock Blue TF-100, K-1766, SpeedStir

6. Back To Top    #6

It amazes me the wide spread knowledge on this forum ... from pools to aerial easement to blacksmithing
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

7. Back To Top    #7

Don't forget the home pool builders, cooks, sound guys, computer programmers, attorneys, landscapers.......... It is no wonder why we love this forum.
    Gunite/Plaster pool at 13k gallons. All Jandy with CL340 series cartridge filter, 1.5 HP Jandy Stealth pump. Jandy 1400 SWCG and PDA4 controller. Dual waterfalls. Polaris 280. Pool installed August 2012. Southern Louisiana. And lets not forget my trusty TF100 test kit!

8. Back To Top    #8

Better to beg forgiveness than ask permission

Had a buddy home builder build a home encroaching on an Entergy easement...fought them in court for months...wasn't pretty
    18x36 vinyl / sport pool 5.5' deep / 1.5hp Tri-Star 2spd / Hayward c3030 325 sqft cartridge / ~15k gal / TF100