Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pine sap in my pool!!

1. Back To Top    #1

Fairport, New York

Pine sap in my pool!!

Our pool is surrounded by many trees, including pine. We opened our pool much earlier than usual this year and have discovered that there is pine tar on the bottom. Kids' feet came out of the pool covered in tar. How in the world do we remove it? I can't imagine any of the usual pine tar removals, i.e. butter, olive oil, alcohol, should be put into the pool. Any suggestions????

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pine sap in my pool!!

Welcome to the forum!

That's one I can't answer off the top of my head. You really want to avoid oils or solvents in the pool, but I'm afraid I'm at a loss for suggestions, sorry.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    TF-100 Test Kit, ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Flagstone, 36"SF, Pentair VS Pump, EasyTouch W/Remote, Rheem 400KBTU Htr

3. Back To Top    #3
    Mod Squad
    DFW, TX

Welcome to TFP!

What a beat down! My first thought is where is my chainsaw! No experience with it either but it is organic so I would expect that chlorine would take care of it eventually. Does it help to brush it? Or does that just smear it around? Hopefully the pine tar expert will show up soon with a great answer.

What kind of pool is it? Plaster, vinyl, fiberglass?
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

4. Back To Top    #4
    Athens, GA - USA

How goes the sap?
    TF-100 | 13.6k gal (24' Round) AG | Chlorine | Sand Filter | Two Speed Motor | Installed June 2014 | Last Opened April 24 2016