Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Rainbow 320 Questions - Bad Seal and Control Valve Placement Question

1. Back To Top    #1

Rainbow 320 Questions - Bad Seal and Control Valve Placement Question

Hi all. Thanks in advance for your help.

Question 1. I am getting a leak from the bottom of the chlorinator, I think from seal "R" in the picture. What can I do to tighten this just a bit more? I've replaced the seal, obviously. Any home remedies?

Question 2 might solve question 3, so let's see what you think. I'm feeding a 35,000 gallon pool with this chlorinator. When I bought the house the control valve assembly was connected to the lower assembly. Shouldn't it be up top? The chlorinator sits on ground that is approximately 6' below water level.

Question 3, if the control valve is in the right place (lower), then how the h*ll do I replace the hose and not have it kink on me? So frustrating! I've tried hot water with no luck. Others have recommended regular flex pipe from Home Depot. Thoughts? Again, it's irrelevant if I should be connecting my control valve to the upper assembly.

Capture.jpgcapture0.jpg
    35k Gallons, IG Gunite, Sand filter, 1980's build

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Rainbow 320 Questions - Bad Seal and Control Valve Placement Question

Go with llonger piece of tubing. Or a stiffer one.

My most sincere recommendation would be a switch to liquid chlorine or Salt Water Chlorine generator.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

3. Back To Top    #3

Well I ended up connecting to the top with a new piece of tubing. That problem is solved. Just need to dial it in now.

Back to question 1. What can I do if the seal seems fine but I'm getting some leakage? I don't want to over-tighten it obviously.

Thanks.
    35k Gallons, IG Gunite, Sand filter, 1980's build

4. Back To Top    #4

Try to take apart and really clean the rubber seal and the chlorinator. Check seal for any tears or dirts ( should be smooth) Check chlorinator for any cracks or pits. Then lube that seal and gently tighten. Hope this helps. You could by pass this with a Stenner pump install.
    8500 gallon IG Pebble Sheen with Spa. 3hp Pentair VS Intelliflo ( pool ), 3/4 hp WhisperFlo ( water feature ),Pentair Racer, 400K Pentair heater, Pentair 500sqft Cartridge filter, EasyTouch 8, Stenner 45mp2 15gallon wired to ET8