Newbie w/ 1st SLAM...guidance please ?

May 26, 2015
Pittsburgh, PA
I am new to the TFPM way, & oh so glad! Have the TF-100 test kit... My 16X32 IG pool has beautiful, crystal clear & sparkling water...BUT...here are the readings from last evening:

FC: 1.5
CC: 5.0 (eek!)
TC: 6.5
pH: 7.5
TA: 90
CH: 150
CYA: 70

with that CYA, I did partially drain the pool to the bottom of the skimmer, & refilled: vacuumed & backwashed the filter (DE). Looking like a SLAM is in order (right?)...w/ CYA of 70, saw that FC should be 28 w/ shock; pool calc said 855oz 8.25% bleach to up FC by 26.

Have added 8 gallons 8.25% bleach, & here are current test results:

pH: 7.2 ( but can't trust during slam, right?)
CH: 175
TA: 100
FC: 6.5
CC: 1.0
TC: 7.5
CYA: 60

Headed in right direction w/ drop in CC, but FC no where near goal of 28... Also, CYA level now 60...really am trying to get the hang of that test-- am following directions precisely; often find myself closing one eye...is that ok? Shall I recalculate my goal FC?

Would greatly appreciate guidance! Thanks!

Yes recalculate FC goal now that CYA is lower.

PH will not be accurate above 10 FC.

Keep adding per pool math. To reach target. You can test as often as every hour.

Lot of brushing the pool also.

If your CC drops by tonight do a OLCT

Ok-- here's the latest...thus far have used 20 gallons + 60 oz bleach; readjusted to goal of FC=24 for CYA of 60; also as of 4pm yesterday, saw that my 8.25% bleach had 7.86% available CL, so I adjusted pool calc w/ this %age bleach--Was that correct to do??? Here are test results leading up to this AM:

5/29:
4pm
FC: 13.0
TC: 14.0

added 3 gallons bleach; (all day sun thus far); brushed & skimmed

5/29:
6:15pm
FC: 17.0
CC: 0.5
TC: 17.5

added 2 gallons bleach; light rain

11:50pm (bad time lapse; awful headache)
FC: 15.5
TC: 16.5

adjusted FC goal to 28 just for overnight, added 3 gallons + 60 oz bleach

THIS MORNING, 5/30:

9am:
FC: 22.0
CC: 0
TC: 22.0

Do I now add enough bleach to get to original goal of FC of 24? Very sunny today...water beautiful, looks like glass-can see entire bottom of liner clearly; do the Overnight test tonight?

With vinyl liner, am diluting bleach a bit, & trickiling it into jet stream for additions--just getting nervous about bleaching liner

Trying to get up and running before school lets out; thx so much!

Yes, you still need to add to stay at or slightly above SLAM target level. The more you can keep it at or slightly above target the better the process works.

- - - Updated - - -

You can dilute the bleach if you want, but you do not have to. Just pour slowly in front of the return jet.

At 10am added 68oz 8.25% (7.86% active Cl) bleach; super sunny, humid

test at 12noon:
FC: 19.5

added 153oz bleach (type as above)

Is the loss in FC due to sun? CC are back?? Eeeek! Keep testing every 2 hours?

if following protocol, will I bleach my vinyl liner?

The loss can be to the sun as well as any organic material that maybe hiding in there. If you can test every 2 hours it is best especially in the beginning. If you have to go somewhere just test as soon as you get back.

Good Morning! Pgh has had the most amazing, consecutive sunny days....not the norm here, & of course our pool is out of order. My family is not "sold" on the TFP method, & I've been asked if I'm "chasing ghosts" w/ the SLAM process...I still believe!

I maintained the pool for 3 yrs the "old" way w/ pool store chemicals & using Aquacheck strips--my TC & FC were always equal. In the beginning of last season, I did not get a FC reading initially, & this yr the same thing occurred...thus I turned to you. My water has never been green or had floaties; only a bit "cloudy upon opening the pool, then turning super clear. Can anyone explain why things might be so out of whack? Why there might be so many organic contaminants in my pool?

This AM's readings...

8:45am: humid and sunny
FC: 17.5

added 221oz 8.25% bleach

10:45am:
FC: 24.0

no additions

how will I know when I'm ready for the overnight test? Thanks a bunch in advance for anyone/everyone's input!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Azgirl, my pool has been crystal clear since the beginning of the SLAM; my FC & CC have been out of whack....guess that's why I'm confused....

Do you know why that could be? The 2nd paragraph in my last post gives a little background...if you or any others could offer your ideas/expertise/rationale, I'd be so grateful!

Latest readings:

12:45pm: intermittent sun

added 70oz 8.25% bleach

3:30pm: intermittent sun

added 80oz 8.25% bleach (to reach FC of 24)

6:00pm: overcast
FC: 20.0

added 150oz 8.25% bleach (added bit more due to loss)

*Any idea why having unchanged or loss in FC after bleach added??? CC remaining the same, water gorgeous--think I will still be able to attempt the OLCT? Oh, and it just rained cats & dogs~eeek!

*I'm such a "theory" based person, & just trying to understand...to this point I have added about 27 gallons of 8.25% bleach to my pool that started out crystal clear...(& still is)...just FC & CC out of whack; could anyone give me insight as to why I have so much organic material to be "chomped" up? I know there is so much knowledge in the TFPC group..I'd be so grateful for all input ��

Good Monday Morning,

This is Day 4 of my first SLAM (4th season w/ our pool); 1st season using the TFPC method; miserably failed the OLCT last night...prior post reveals yesterday's readings until bedtime...

6/1- 7:30am: very overcast; rained last evening; water crystal-can see 8ft bottom of liner clearly
FC: 18.0
CC: 2.0

To date I have used about 27 gallons of 8.25% bleach; could my decent drop in FC & rise in CC be due to the rain?? Does anyone see any kind of pattern in my #'s? I have been brushing/skimming multiple times daily, & will vacuum again today. Back washed my DE filter before SLAMming...pressure norm is 18-20...now reading 16...it has never dropped before. Read troubleshooting section of owners manual, & nothing mentioned regarding "drop" in pressures, only increase...could I be harming my filter? Is the chlorine "eating" up the DE?

Please forgive me me for all of the questions, & I certainly hope I have not offended anyone by reiterating a few...I just really want to understand WHY what is happening--why w/ clear water I have so many issues w/ maintaining FC? I am so thankful for this site & for veteran knowledge...I truly thought I had maintained my pool the past 3 yrs...

Thank you so much!

Good morning back to you! :wave: Typically when FC drops, we look at a couple immediate possibilities - either there is a low CYA allowing the chlorine to get burnt-off by the sun, or there is still algae in the water somewhere which is using-up the FC. By any chance, have you taken another good luck at any accessories in your pool - specifically ladder steps, rails, etc? Other pool owners have had problems with algae hiding under these sneaky areas causing the SLAM to go longer. Will rain effect your testing and levels? ... perhaps a little. Looks like you are being quite vigilant in your efforts. I don't' have a DE filter, so I'll have to let someone else speak for that one. I would continue the SLAM for now unless a TFP expert has some other advice to offer. Keep-up the great work! :)

Sorry!

9:00pm reading last night
FC: 25

no additions

Filter has been running 24/7 since pool was opened on 5/11. (Initially had heat pump on)

Texas Splash, I do have a set of stairs in the deep end that I will remove.

im getting frustrated, but won't give up...

Oh my pool geniuses, please lend me your ears & knowledge! I did remove the stairs from the deep end of the pool.

Today was day 5 of my 1st SLAM; stopped posting yesterday as I did the best testing I could w/ having out of the house chores: basically tested every 4-5 hours, with FC each time in the 22 range (goal is 24)--did 8.25% bleach additions each time according to pool calculator.

Today, could not test as frequent- running low on reagent R-0871 (have some on order along w/ a speedstir)--we have no pool stores in the area that carry Taylor reagents! Here are my results:

6/2: 7:45am : very overcast, cool
FC: 16.5

(lost 5.5 in FC overnight); added 262oz 8.25% bleach

10:30am:
FC: 27.5

no additions

12:45pm:
FC: 25.5

no additions

4:15pm
FC: 21.0

added 85oz 8.25% bleach

9:55pm: overcast & cool all day
FC: 17.5
CC: 1.5

I'm troubled w/ what to do...I know testing every 2 hours is ideal to maintain ideal FC, but I don't have enough reagent, & unfortunately, I've had to do errands. Tomorrow I will be out from 9am-3pm at my son's school function. Feel as though what I have added thus far has now been wasted...WHAT SHOULD I DO? Should I add bleach tonight even though I won't be home to test in the morning tomorrow? I have read a lot of threads & still just can't grasp why the pool is requiring so much...it did not begin "swampy"; has been crystal clear...have I miscalculated the gallonage? 16X32, 3 and 1/2ft to 8ft deep rectangular IG...first I used 21800, then 22100. I retested the CYA yesterday due to the rain, & got a reading of 60-70. Does anyone have an idea why it's taking me so long, or why there is such an issue w/ "organic material" in my pool? Might something else be going on? Could I harm my vinyl liner?

Gosh, I'm on a rant, and oh so sorry...just trying to be prudent & effective & feel as though I'm failing...boo-hoo!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.