Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Be your own advocate

1. Back To Top    #1

Be your own advocate

Having owned an IG 13K gal pool in So Cal for 20yrs, I've finally had enough of blindly following the recommendations from my local corp pool store. Nothing against the people working here, understandably their agenda is to keep the store open and pay their employees. Hey, and I own some/a lot of the blame for not seeking outside input, or on line self education such as this forum. By regularly checking in on the forum, and referring to pool school, believe the tools are here to become self sufficient at maintaining a properly balanced, healthy pool, and even save some money.

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: Be your own advocate

Welcome to TFP!
    You mention you have seen pool school. Do lots of reading!

Have you ordered a recommended test kit yet?
    Lisa
    Intex AG vinyl 15' x 48" 4,300 gallons due to skimmer install, Krystal Clear SF pump combo 2800 GPH, Krystal Clear SWG, Pool Blaster Max vacuum, Hayward thru the wall skimmer, TF 100 test kit with speed stir, K 1766 Taylor salt test, My SLAM Process

3. Back To Top    #3

Welcome to TFP. Congratulations on escaping from the dark side As AZgirl asks, have you ordered your test kit, it will be your best friend. also, add your pool and equipment info to your signature, it will help everyone here better help you.
    10.5K IG gunnite pool with micro-pebble finish in Caribbean blue with Baja step. Haywood main filter with Perry's Pool Pump 1hp motor. Jandy CL-340 cartridge filter. Circupool RJ30 SWG system. TF100 test kit with Speedstir. Floating beer cooler.

4. Back To Top    #4

Welcome to the forum, and thank you for your honesty.

I say it often, Pool Stores are not all bad, but they exist in part because people simply refuse to learn a few basics on their own, or they have the misconception that treating a pool is somehow complicated and beyond their grasp. The exact opposite is actually true, but it does not behoove a PS to educate customers with the simple truths about common products that are the same chemicals they specialize in. Good to have you with us, and I hope you continue to enjoy the forum.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

5. Back To Top    #5

Ditto what Patrick said. Once you understand the methods and the whys of the TFPC method, it will be so easy and best of all, inexpensive!
    Replastered 2015: Sunstone Quartz Midnight Blue 16x32 rectangular gunite with in-pool spa....18,000 gallons. Autopilot Total Control System with SWG and acid pump. Pentair Clean & Clear 420. Auto cover. TF-100.

6. Back To Top    #6

Welcome to TFP!
    Gold Supporter, TFP Lifetime Supporter, 26,680 gal Plaster IGP 3.5 - 10' depth / Attached Waterfall Spa, Manually Chlorinated, Triton Sand Filter, 1.5 HP * 1.1 SF = 1.65 SFHP 1-speed Pentair WhisperFlo WF-26 Pump, 400K BTU NG Teledyne Laars Series One Heater, Polaris 360, Test Kit Comparison, Chlorine/CYA Chart, SLAMing Your Pool, OCLT
    A good test kit is an investment, not an expense.