Sungrabber Solar heater Hook up with a GL-235

Jun 6, 2014
Lynbrook, NY
Hi all

Great Forum

Can someone please help me answer some questions.

I ordered a set Sungrabber (FAFCO) Solar collector 2 x 2' by 12', these are being mounted on the roof facing south. I also ordered a Aqua Solar GL-235 controller. In the meantime i added a separate filter pump 1/2 HP 2500 GPH pump that will be controlled by the GL-235 I have included some pictures. I also started the hard plumb, I also added a sprinkler to cool down the water on hot hot summer days.

Second%20Pump%201_zpscygxo45t.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Second%20Pump_zpsqsh0m5fh.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

I have attached a picture of the setup recommended; according to the sungrabber manual altered the diagram to fit what i think would work for myself.

Sungrabber%20set%20up_zpsqocfxk6t.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Still wasn't convinced I reached out to Fafco directly and they supplied me a different diagram setup

Fafco%20Setup_zpshtolucjo.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Can someone please assist

1. Which diagram/setup should i use?
2. I like to install a pressure gauge being the pump does not have one, and i don't want to blow this solar panels off my roof, where in the setup would i install it to measure pressure.

Please help me

The second diagram is the more advanced correct one, for best solar panel measurement the gauge should be installed at the inlet side of the panels, however to make life easier, you could install just after the check valve, then mathematically compensate for the height of the panel if roof mounted (water adds 14.7 psi about every 33 ft of height of water column).

There is one more thing you need to add that is left out of their diagram, that is a vacuum breaker valve at roof level on the feed side to allow the panels to drain and not get overheated if the pump is off.

Isaac-1

Thank you so much for your feedback and great answer.

I like the second one also, felt less valves i have to control the better.

I do have the sungrabber/fafco vacuum breaker, i did forget to add to the diagram, because i am, trying to figure out the best way to add this.

I would go with the first one, remember to slant it at a slight angle so the water is always going up, otherwise you will trap air bubbles.

Ike

ps I will not be online much the next 4 days or so, taking a weekend roadtrip

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.