Adding CYA

wal81

Feb 8, 2015
North Alabama
I need to add CYA to my pool. I've read about both methods - hanging a sock in front of a return, or mixing it in a bucket of water and adding it to the skimmer basket.

Questions:

1) When they say to add it to the basket, is this the skimmer basket by the side of the pool, or the basket next to the sand filter?
2) Do I need to run the pump continuously with either of these methods? Or can I leave the pump on its regular 12 hrs/day setting?
3) Will raising CYA bind the FC that's currently in the pool? Do I need to turn up my SWG output % while I'm adding the CYA, to be safe?
4) Is 80 a good goal for CYA in my salt pool, or should I start lower around 60? The pool looks great right now despite the low CYA level, so I don't want to risk messing up the other levels.

Current levels:
FC 5
pH 7.5
TA 100
CH 50
CYA 20 or 30

I need to add CYA to my pool. I've read about both methods - hanging a sock in front of a return, or mixing it in a bucket of water and adding it to the skimmer basket.

Questions:

1) When they say to add it to the basket, is this the skimmer basket by the side of the pool, or the basket next to the sand filter?
Side of the pool
2) Do I need to run the pump continuously with either of these methods? Or can I leave the pump on its regular 12 hrs/day setting?
If it stays in, you need to keep the water flowing. CYA is acidic, and if it just sits and stews, it could etch things. In a sock, you can pull it out when the pump is off and set it in a bucket or tie it to a float and let it bob around.
3) Will raising CYA bind the FC that's currently in the pool? Do I need to turn up my SWG output % while I'm adding the CYA, to be safe?
Most likely, your FC will raise as the CYA dissolves and gets dispersed, because you will lose less to the sun. I expect that in a couple days you'll be turning the SWG% down or reducing the pump run time. Just as an aside, most of us get by with three or four hours a day.
4) Is 80 a good goal for CYA in my salt pool, or should I start lower around 60? The pool looks great right now despite the low CYA level, so I don't want to risk messing up the other levels.

Current levels:
FC 5
pH 7.5
TA 100
CH 50
CYA 20 or 30
Plug 30 in Now and 60 as target, just in case your testing is off a bit. In a week, test again and add more if you need it. It's easy to add more. It's hard to lose excess.

Thanks Richard. That was so helpful. Do you have a preference of the sock method vs skimmer? I don't live at the house full time right now - I'm just checking on the pool a few times a week. Not sure which route would be simplest in this case.

Thanks Richard. That was so helpful. Do you have a preference of the sock method vs skimmer? I don't live at the house full time right now - I'm just checking on the pool a few times a week. Not sure which route would be simplest in this case.
There is no versus. Use a sock no matter where you put it. Is there an old floating tab chlorinator? Try this

attachment.php

This probably seems like a stupid question, but what do you do with the sock after dispensing your CYA? Does it go in the laundry with the rest of the dirty socks, or does CYA not mix well in a washer?

Chuckling is allowed while reading this question. :)

LOL! The sock I use is a mismatch from one of my kids so it hangs out with my pool stuff. It would be fine to wash it and put it back into circulation. Or give it to Woody for his other foot! :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.