Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Adding CYA

1. Back To Top    #1

Adding CYA

I need to add CYA to my pool. I've read about both methods - hanging a sock in front of a return, or mixing it in a bucket of water and adding it to the skimmer basket.

Questions:

1) When they say to add it to the basket, is this the skimmer basket by the side of the pool, or the basket next to the sand filter?
    2) Do I need to run the pump continuously with either of these methods? Or can I leave the pump on its regular 12 hrs/day setting?
    3) Will raising CYA bind the FC that's currently in the pool? Do I need to turn up my SWG output % while I'm adding the CYA, to be safe?
    4) Is 80 a good goal for CYA in my salt pool, or should I start lower around 60? The pool looks great right now despite the low CYA level, so I don't want to risk messing up the other levels.

Current levels:
    FC 5
    pH 7.5
    TA 100
    CH 50
    CYA 20 or 30
    saltwater generator - Hayward turbo cell
    Whisperflo multiport valve sand filter
    25,000 gallon vinyl pool (20x40 rectangular)
    Polaris 280
    TF-100 test kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Adding CYA

Quote Originally Posted by wal81 View Post
    I need to add CYA to my pool. I've read about both methods - hanging a sock in front of a return, or mixing it in a bucket of water and adding it to the skimmer basket.

Questions:

1) When they say to add it to the basket, is this the skimmer basket by the side of the pool, or the basket next to the sand filter?
    Side of the pool
    2) Do I need to run the pump continuously with either of these methods? Or can I leave the pump on its regular 12 hrs/day setting?
    If it stays in, you need to keep the water flowing. CYA is acidic, and if it just sits and stews, it could etch things. In a sock, you can pull it out when the pump is off and set it in a bucket or tie it to a float and let it bob around.
    3) Will raising CYA bind the FC that's currently in the pool? Do I need to turn up my SWG output % while I'm adding the CYA, to be safe?
    Most likely, your FC will raise as the CYA dissolves and gets dispersed, because you will lose less to the sun. I expect that in a couple days you'll be turning the SWG% down or reducing the pump run time. Just as an aside, most of us get by with three or four hours a day.
    4) Is 80 a good goal for CYA in my salt pool, or should I start lower around 60? The pool looks great right now despite the low CYA level, so I don't want to risk messing up the other levels.

Current levels:
    FC 5
    pH 7.5
    TA 100
    CH 50
    CYA 20 or 30
    Plug 30 in Now and 60 as target, just in case your testing is off a bit. In a week, test again and add more if you need it. It's easy to add more. It's hard to lose excess.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks Richard. That was so helpful. Do you have a preference of the sock method vs skimmer? I don't live at the house full time right now - I'm just checking on the pool a few times a week. Not sure which route would be simplest in this case.
    saltwater generator - Hayward turbo cell
    Whisperflo multiport valve sand filter
    25,000 gallon vinyl pool (20x40 rectangular)
    Polaris 280
    TF-100 test kit

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by wal81 View Post
    Thanks Richard. That was so helpful. Do you have a preference of the sock method vs skimmer? I don't live at the house full time right now - I'm just checking on the pool a few times a week. Not sure which route would be simplest in this case.
    There is no versus. Use a sock no matter where you put it. Is there an old floating tab chlorinator? Try this

16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

5. Back To Top    #5

This probably seems like a stupid question, but what do you do with the sock after dispensing your CYA? Does it go in the laundry with the rest of the dirty socks, or does CYA not mix well in a washer?

Chuckling is allowed while reading this question.
    12,000, IG 1992, 4.5' center/3' each end, Pentair FNS-60 DE Filter (2015)
    PebbleSheen installed 2015
    Pentair Superflo VS installed May 2016
    TF-100 Test Kit
    Dolphin Nautilus Plus Robot

6. Back To Top    #6

I just put it back on.....................
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

7. Back To Top    #7

LOL! The sock I use is a mismatch from one of my kids so it hangs out with my pool stuff. It would be fine to wash it and put it back into circulation. Or give it to Woody for his other foot!
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

8. Back To Top    #8

Ha! I knew this question would bring me a laugh!

12,000, IG 1992, 4.5' center/3' each end, Pentair FNS-60 DE Filter (2015)
    PebbleSheen installed 2015
    Pentair Superflo VS installed May 2016
    TF-100 Test Kit
    Dolphin Nautilus Plus Robot

9. Back To Top    #9

Richard,

I bet you don't any problems with bulls getting in your pool...

Jim R.
    Finished in 2015 - 17K Gal, IG, 20' x 25' Almost Rectangular Pool, Pebble finish, three rockport water falls. Pentair Equipment: EasyTouch 4, IC40 SWG, 3 HP VS Pump, CCP520 Cartridge Filter.
    TF100 with SpeedStir and SampleSizer, ColorQ Pro 7, Dolphin Premier Robot Cleaner, added Screen Logic 2, added small 3 person Calder Spa.