testing errors - Can OCL be 0 ?

midijamm

LifeTime Supporter
May 7, 2015
Marathon fl
I have recently had some ridiculous test results.

I am not one that cannot follow directions. I know that I am doing the tests correctly (with corrective council from this site)

I recently ran out of DPD powder and got some new. Don't know if that is relevant but I had no problems before that.

Started getting cloudy water (perhaps due to laziness in not brushing and vacuuming) and I started getting impossible FC readings (increasing FC without adding any)

Started shocking day before yesterday (and brushing and vacuuming) and OCLT was been less than 1

Pool still cloudy.

Last night OCLT was 0.

Is that possible or am I still getting screwy readings

I had this exact problem and it turned out to be my 6 year old water collection bottle while looked clean had a chlorine demand. If I tested immediately it was higher than if the sample sat in the bottle for a short time. Maybe a long shot, but it is definitely a thing.

shocking with 5.25% Home Depot bleach
Following the SLAM process religiously.
Using new Taylor K2006 kit and new Reagents.

FC loss last night 0
CC 0

Maintaining 13 PPM
water still cloudy
greenish yellow dust on floor

brushing and vacuuming

Sure, if there is no organic material in the pool to consume chlorine. It doesn't seem likely with your description of what is happening with your pool right now. There are only three options I can think of. It is either true, test error or bad test reagent.

How are you testing to get a CYA of 34?? The K-2006 CYA test gives results in numbers that end in "0"

The same way I would determine I was going 34 MPH on a speedometer that had numbers that end in 0. it is 4/10 of the way between 30 and 40

Is that wrong?

While on the subject of testing technique, When I am testing for FC, and I know I am going to put in 20+ drops, is it ok to put in 5 or 10 and then swirl?

TIA to you all

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The same way I would determine I was going 34 MPH on a speedometer that had numbers that end in 0. it is 4/10 of the way between 30 and 40

Is that wrong?

While on the subject of testing technique, When I am testing for FC, and I know I am going to put in 20+ drops, is it ok to put in 5 or 10 and then swirl?

TIA to you all
Yes, that is wrong. The scale on the tube is not linear like a speedometer. If you notice the distance between the different readings changes as you go up the tube. It is safest to chlorinate based on the next highest reading.

You really should continually swirl. That is why most of us purchased a SpeedStir after our wrists began to hurt....

You really should continually swirl. That is why most of us purchased a SpeedStir after our wrists began to hurt....[/QUOTE]

While I really respect and appreciate all the info you guys so graciously give, I am the consummate cynic and doubter so I did the FC test swirling drop by drop and then I did it again a bunch of drops at once….

AND … Drum Roll!!!!

You're right. :hammer:
Completely different result

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.