Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: testing errors - Can OCL be 0 ?

1. Back To Top    #1

testing errors - Can OCL be 0 ?

I have recently had some ridiculous test results.

I am not one that cannot follow directions. I know that I am doing the tests correctly (with corrective council from this site)

I recently ran out of DPD powder and got some new. Don't know if that is relevant but I had no problems before that.

Started getting cloudy water (perhaps due to laziness in not brushing and vacuuming) and I started getting impossible FC readings (increasing FC without adding any)

Started shocking day before yesterday (and brushing and vacuuming) and OCLT was been less than 1

Pool still cloudy.

Last night OCLT was 0.

Is that possible or am I still getting screwy readings
    25,000 Gal In ground
    Ceramic Tiled
    FKAA (Municipal) Water
    Sand Filter
    ! Hp No Name Pump K2006 Test Kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: testing errors - Can OCL be 0 ?

Something is definitely not right. FC does not spontaneously increase in a pool. The only way FC increases is when some is added.

Quote Originally Posted by midijamm
    Started shocking day before yesterday
    What are you using to "shock" with? Are you following the SLAM process? How old are the other reagents?
    Gold Supporter, TFP Lifetime Supporter, 26,680 gal Plaster IGP 3.5 - 10' depth / Attached Waterfall Spa, Manually Chlorinated, Triton Sand Filter, 1.5 HP * 1.1 SF = 1.65 SFHP 1-speed Pentair WhisperFlo WF-26 Pump, 400K BTU NG Teledyne Laars Series One Heater, Polaris 360, Test Kit Comparison, Chlorine/CYA Chart, SLAMing Your Pool, OCLT
    A good test kit is an investment, not an expense.

3. Back To Top    #3

I had this exact problem and it turned out to be my 6 year old water collection bottle while looked clean had a chlorine demand. If I tested immediately it was higher than if the sample sat in the bottle for a short time. Maybe a long shot, but it is definitely a thing.
    Viking Maui 2300g fiberglass in ground pool in a screened room with polycarbonate roof. 45gpm pump with sand filter manually chlorinated. Entire pool water can cycle in 51 minutes. Jacuzzi 336g hot tub with ozonator, manually chlorinated. TF 100 test kit with speed stir. Fungi pronounced Fun Guy, I'm Jim

4. Back To Top    #4

shocking with 5.25% Home Depot bleach
    Following the SLAM process religiously.
    Using new Taylor K2006 kit and new Reagents.

FC loss last night 0
    CC 0

Maintaining 13 PPM
    water still cloudy
    greenish yellow dust on floor

brushing and vacuuming
    25,000 Gal In ground
    Ceramic Tiled
    FKAA (Municipal) Water
    Sand Filter

5. Back To Top    #5

Well, could just be a filtration problem.

Have you inspected and Deep Cleaned your Sand Filter?
    Or you could try to Add DE to your Sand Filter
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by midijamm View Post
    shocking with 5.25% Home Depot bleach
    Following the SLAM process religiously.
    Using new Taylor K2006 kit and new Reagents.

FC loss last night 0
    CC 0

Maintaining 13 PPM
    water still cloudy
    greenish yellow dust on floor

brushing and vacuuming
    What is your CYA?
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

7. Back To Top    #7

Been backwashing filter and adding the occasional DE supplement

CYA is 34

Water is slowly clearing

Again,

Is zero FC loss overnite possible
    25,000 Gal In ground
    Ceramic Tiled
    FKAA (Municipal) Water
    Sand Filter

8. Back To Top    #8

Sure, if there is no organic material in the pool to consume chlorine. It doesn't seem likely with your description of what is happening with your pool right now. There are only three options I can think of. It is either true, test error or bad test reagent.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

9. Back To Top    #9

Been backwashing filter and adding the occasional DE supplement

CYA is 34

Water is slowly clearing

Again,

Is zero FC loss overnite possible
    How are you testing to get a CYA of 34?? The K-2006 CYA test gives results in numbers that end in "0"
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by tim5055 View Post
    How are you testing to get a CYA of 34?? The K-2006 CYA test gives results in numbers that end in "0"
    The same way I would determine I was going 34 MPH on a speedometer that had numbers that end in 0. it is 4/10 of the way between 30 and 40

Is that wrong?

While on the subject of testing technique, When I am testing for FC, and I know I am going to put in 20+ drops, is it ok to put in 5 or 10 and then swirl?

TIA to you all
    25,000 Gal In ground
    Ceramic Tiled
    FKAA (Municipal) Water
    Sand Filter

11. Back To Top    #11

The same way I would determine I was going 34 MPH on a speedometer that had numbers that end in 0. it is 4/10 of the way between 30 and 40

Is that wrong?

While on the subject of testing technique, When I am testing for FC, and I know I am going to put in 20+ drops, is it ok to put in 5 or 10 and then swirl?

TIA to you all
    Yes, that is wrong. The scale on the tube is not linear like a speedometer. If you notice the distance between the different readings changes as you go up the tube. It is safest to chlorinate based on the next highest reading.

You really should continually swirl. That is why most of us purchased a SpeedStir after our wrists began to hurt....

12. Back To Top    #12

Quote Originally Posted by tim5055 View Post
    You really should continually swirl. That is what most of us purchased a SpeedStir after our wrists began to hurt....
    LOL, right!
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

13. Back To Top    #13

You really should continually swirl. That is why most of us purchased a SpeedStir after our wrists began to hurt....[/QUOTE]

While I really respect and appreciate all the info you guys so graciously give, I am the consummate cynic and doubter so I did the FC test swirling drop by drop and then I did it again a bunch of drops at once….

AND … Drum Roll!!!!

You're right.
    Completely different result
    25,000 Gal In ground
    Ceramic Tiled
    FKAA (Municipal) Water
    Sand Filter