Space Coast, Florida
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool RJ-45 Plus
Good Morning everyone!

You all helped me about 5 years ago with the pool in my signature, everything was fantastic. I wish I stuck around to keep up with technology and opinions, oh well...

My family is preparing to relocate to Central Florida, and we will be building a pool! I am trying to get equipment picked out...

The pool will be screened-in, around 20k gallons (probably 17-23k depending) We will be adding solar heat (on the second story roof) there will be a spa, I want to chlorinate with a SWCG, and I'd like a cartridge filter. The name of the game is going to be efficiency. For a filter, I am looking at the Clean & Clear Plus 420 sq. foot cartridge. Looking for lowest head loss possible in the filter and and the most efficient pump that has enough power. I'd like to go variable speed, because I can. My current pool has a separate system and pumps for the spa and pool, but for the next one I would like to go with just one pump.

I originally picked the EcoStar because of its increased efficiency at lower speeds over the IntelliFlo. It was easier back then, now I see that there are multiple smaller variable speed pumps available!

I suppose what I am asking for is a summary of the difference of the newer, smaller VS pumps, and a comparison to the EcoStar and IntelliFlow, or a recommendation of what the experts feel would be a good fit for the new pool. I am looking for the most efficient pump at low circulation speed, but with enough power to overcome the initial head of pumping water up to the solar array, and to run the spa.

As always, thank you all so much for your help!

Last edited:
Hello, I'm in Polk County Florida, can't get much central. LOL.

Electric here is pretty cheap. ($.14 KWH) You may be better off going with a two speed motor vice the VS. Run on High when you need the solar, low when you don't. Depending on the solar controller you get it will switch hi/low speed automatically. With the spa option you'll probably have some type of automation, I think the two-speed may still be viable. Hi for solar/spa operations, low for circulation. With the pool being covered you won't have to worry about debris leaves and such. With such a large filter you'll be cleaning maybe once a year. I've only got CC100 and during the peak season it gets rinsed every 2-3 weeks, 6-8 weeks in the winter.

Make sure most of the piping is at least 2" for lower flow restrictions. As for solar have you seen: For Pools There's great info on that site. Also heating a pool with out using a cover is like heating a house with out a roof.

I personally like having a robotic cleaner. I throw it in, and take it out when done. Every couple days, with a covered pool you'll be able to go much longer.

Have a safe move. If you have any questions about the area or such don't hesitate to ask.

Bob

I love my 3hp VSpump. It is more pump than I need but I will get another when the time comes. It is awesome to be able to dial in your water flow. We do 1100rpm (150w) for skimming and the SWG. 1950rpm for solar, Solartouch automatically changes pump speed. 1500rpm for waterfall, skimmer and SWG. 2500rpm for brushing and sucking stuff into bottom drain.

Thanks Bob and pooldv!!

I also have gotten spoiled by the EcoStar....being able to change speed whenever and whatever is quite nice!

Bob-- we are going to be moving to St. Cloud. Though it looks like St. Cloud proper is to the south of Lake Toho, we are moving to an area east of Lake Toho, a community called Nova Grove. Just a few more weeks until we close! The pool build won't begin until then. So trying to get options squared away.

So, back to your question. A 1 HP 2- speed pump will probably be just about perfect.

I know you want a VS pump but the increased cost will likely never pay you back. I don't know if you put that in the "efficiency" rating of the pump but front money cost and time to break even influences me on about every purchasing decision I make.

Thanks! Yes I was looking specifically at the Superflo VS and the Hayward MaxFlo VS.

Are these just like their bigger brothers except lower HP? Are they as adjustable and as variable as the large VSes?

What is the recommended amount of power/flowrate for second story solar heating?

I see in Hydraulics 101 it says "In order to ensure proper priming of the solar panels and the closing of the vacuum release valve at the top of the panel, the pump's head loss at 40 GPM should be twice the height of the panels."

Looks like the Superflo VS has enough power for that, and the MaxFlo VS makes it but with less of a margin.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Yes, the superflo is supposed to have all the same control as the bigger intelliflo pumps. Not familiar with the Hayward pump.

It looks like the SuperFlo VS controls aren't quite the same -- 3 speeds (plus quick clean) on the SuperFlo vs 4 (plus quick clean) on the IntelliFlo, and some other built-in control differences. And if you're planning to connect to an external controller, they're very different -- the IntelliFlo uses a serial link that allows e.g. an EasyTouch panel to fully control all aspects and get data back from the pump. The SuperFlo has a simple cable that basically just allows remote switching to select one of the already-programmed 3 (plus quick clean) speeds. For some purposes that might actually be better (you could wire up a very simple/cheap remote switch), others worse (I suspect to have an EasyTouch use multiple speeds of a SuperFlo requires more circuits/relays than an IntelliFlo).

This is all from research just now after seeing this pump for the first time; I will start my own thread later with questions on my 2-speed vs SuperFlo VS vs IntelliFlo VS decision (this post is a direct response to OP; I'm not hijacking! :)

Thank you jmastron! That is the kind of information I was looking for. And efficiency at various speeds. Are the 3 and 4 speeds (plus quick clean) that you are referring to permanently set at the factory? Or am I able to change the 3 speeds to whatever I want them to be?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.