Rain does affect pool chemistry

Reddogdan

LifeTime Supporter
Sep 17, 2013
Mansfield, Texas
Actually the rain is having a major affect on my pool. My new TFP method is called rain and drain. Every afternoon I drain 4 inches of water off. Every night it fills back up to the top of the flagstone. I've proably taken 20 inches off in the last 2 months. My numbers run all over the scale. I even put some tabs in the tube just to help with chlorine and bring cya back. Calcium is down again. but it still looks perfect. How is everyone else handling this?

Just realize that when you replace as much water as we have around here lately-----ain't no chemistry gonna stand up stable to that! NORMAL rain doesn't effect chemistry much at all. THIS----------ain't normal!

I got Noah on speed dial for advice.

When you are tossing out 4" a day, every day, and replacing it with more rain....yea, that is going to have an effect.

We've cried for years about being dry, but even out West, we are SICK of the rain. We want some summer weather!! We are pool owners for cryin out loud, so how about some fun in the sun for a change? It feels like England or Seattle all the time!

We aren't getting it like the rest of the state, but my pool is staying brim full.

I had cya levels over 100 so I had drained my pool about 1/2 down (about 10k gallons). When I came home one day I shut the pump down and thought I would start the house up to refill it after dinner.

When I checked on the pool after the downpour it was already overflowing.

I'm ready for some sun.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Definitely NOT normal rain this spring. I have added CYA 3 times and I am low and added salt twice. The lake went from 13' down to 11' over and the dam has been wide open for a few weeks. I have algae growing on the ground below my pool overflow. I think I need to SLAM my yard! :)

I'm so happy to see some sun on the way to North Texas. My FC and pH levels have been holding well and pool is still clear despite draining several inches 4 or 5 times over the last couple of weeks. I'll be checking everything and adjusting tomorrow when the sun arrives.

This thread is making me happy to have an auto cover. Cover pump takes care of the rest :D

On the retrospect, we, here on east coast been enjoying a much more dryer spring then usual. This week is actually a first serious thunderstorm/****ty weather/cold/down pouring week we've had in 2 months or so! Looks, you folks in Texas have attracted all the rain!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.