Question about AA treatment and Metal Magic

run53

LifeTime Supporter
May 4, 2010
Thanks to this forum, in another thread I figured out I have metal staining on my vinyl liner pool (probably Iron). So now I need to do the AA treatment that was prescribed.

The question is about the suggested pH. AA says 7.2 for the absorbic acid treatment. It then says when the stain is gone (hopefully within 30 minutes), add enough sequestering agent for the volume of your pool. So I have 2 questions about this.

1) Which dosage should I use? there is an initial dosage suggestion and a maintenance dosage listed on the bottle.
2) The Metal Magic bottle also says that pH should be 7.5 or higher. However this seems to be in conflict with the AA treatment as it says not to start the re-balance process until 24 hours after the AA treatment. So, will the low pH from the AA treatment make the MM ineffective?

Thanks

Excellent questions.
Use the startup dose, not maintenance.

I don't think the lower ph will render MM ineffective per se, but ay cause it to function slightly differently.

I believe the preference for MM of 7.6 is twofold...it may push your ph down a bit, but MM also purports that it can help actually remove some of the metal, and I suspect it requires the higher ph to do so (eg bind the metal in a way that helps filter some of it out...my psi goes up when I use it on startup.)

In your case, you've already removed the stains (which some use MM to do instead, not that's its reliable as effective as AA) so you really just need it to sequester.

If your pool looks slightly cloudy after using it don't worry -- if its actually binding in a way that's filterable, that just means your filter will take some of it (the bound metal) out, which would b a side benefit. But watch for nascent algae at protracted low chlorine levels.

Cheers!

run53 said:
1) Which dosage should I use? there is an initial dosage suggestion and a maintenance dosage listed on the bottle.
The first time you dose with MM, I would use the initial dosage amount. Subsequent maintenance doses would require the "maintenance" dosage amount.

run53 said:
2) The Metal Magic bottle also says that pH should be 7.5 or higher. However this seems to be in conflict with the AA treatment as it says not to start the re-balance process until 24 hours after the AA treatment. So, will the low pH from the AA treatment make the MM ineffective?
No.

Thanks to both of you for the replies. As usual, this place has all the answers to keep my pool sparkling!

I ordered the AA, Polyquat 60 and MM on-line and now waiting for it to arrive so I can begin my adventure :)

Swampwoman.....seems like you have had success with just the MM. I thought of trying that but I decided this time to try the AA treatment along with the Polyquat 60 to prevent algae while FC is low. However, I did an OCLT last night and noticed a 1.5 FC drop even though CC is 0 and water is crystal clear. Not good, so I will do another OCLT tonight and may have to SLAM to clear things up. Unfortunately, this will postpone my AA treatment until I can get FC down to 0 again.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.