Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: sand filter

1. Back To Top    #1

sand filter

Hi, I have a pool that is currently a chlorine pool. I'm am interested to converting to a SWG pool. And I have been told that when do this, I should change the filter sand. And I'm new to pools and would like some advise on this please. I have everything that I need to replace some internal parts to my sand filter now. But I don't want to change the sand now and have to change it again in the near future if possible. Thank you.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: sand filter

Hi, welcome to TFP! You do not have to change the sand to convert the pool to a salt pool. The chlorine generated is the same as the chlorine you get from the store. Just think of it as having a mini chlorine factory hooked up to your pool! If you need to change parts in the filter because something is broken you can remove the sand and reuse it if you wish. The only time you have to replace sand is when you are dealing with calcium deposits or converting the pool from baquacil to chlorine.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

You gotta wonder how whoever gave you that advice even comes up with this stuff!
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks! when I purchased this home the pool had the appearance and smell of a mud puddle. and I want to upgrade the filter sand so that I know its 100%.