Pool confusion!

May 29, 2015
Toronto
Hi,
I recently used a salt water pool, while I was on a holiday in Greece and ever since I am a fan . The water felt soft and didn’t burn my eyes and now I want to convert our backyard pool into a salt water one. Actually our pool is not quite old. Its an in-ground swimming pool done by Pro's out of Massachusetts 8 months back. My husband thinks it’s too soon to think about changing it, as the pool is kind of new. Can anyone please tell me how expensive is it to convert to a salt water pool? Is it hard to maintain such pools? Thanks in advance.

Before any recommendations can be made or questions answered, you need to add the particulars of your pool and equipment to your signature. Info such as, pool size, liner type, and volume, filter type and pump type (maunfacturer and model number if known), heater, spa, etc. is needed.

First off to make it clear a salt water pool is still a chlorine pool, it just generates its own chlorine on site instead of adding it into the water by passing electrical current through the salt (Sodium Chloride) water in a SWG cell which is plumbed into the equipment. As to the question at hand, without knowing specifics installation can often be done in an hour or so. All it involves is cutting out a short section of pipe (12 inches give or take) and inserting the SWG cell in its place, some replumbing may be needed if you don't have the necessary open length of available pipe in the right place. This is connected to a control box which needs to connected to your electrical supply (some plug in). Cost depends on model and they come in various sizes typically between about $500-$1,200, cells need replacing every few years and cost about half the cost of a complete unit.

Ike

p.s. the lower eye irritation is likely due to the more balance osmotic pressure from the salt water which more closely matches the fluid inside your eye

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.