Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pool confusion!

1. Back To Top    #1

Pool confusion!

Hi,
    I recently used a salt water pool, while I was on a holiday in Greece and ever since I am a fan . The water felt soft and didn’t burn my eyes and now I want to convert our backyard pool into a salt water one. Actually our pool is not quite old. Its an in-ground swimming pool done by Pro's out of Massachusetts 8 months back. My husband thinks it’s too soon to think about changing it, as the pool is kind of new. Can anyone please tell me how expensive is it to convert to a salt water pool? Is it hard to maintain such pools? Thanks in advance.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pool confusion!

I dont have a pool yet im about yo get one ,but from what i read u can change over to salt when ever u want ,seams like its better on the liners than chlorine.

3. Back To Top    #3

Before any recommendations can be made or questions answered, you need to add the particulars of your pool and equipment to your signature. Info such as, pool size, liner type, and volume, filter type and pump type (maunfacturer and model number if known), heater, spa, etc. is needed.
    Steve
    32 X 16 inground, 17260 gallons, Vinyl Liner, Triton II TR-60 filter,
    Sta-Rite 1hp pump Model #MPRA6E-147L, CircuPool SI-30 Plus SWG, TF-100 Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by charliethetuna View Post
    I dont have a pool yet im about yo get one ,but from what i read u can change over to salt when ever u want ,seams like its better on the liners than chlorine.
    .Chlorine is chlorine is chlorine-----no difference.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

5. Back To Top    #5

First off to make it clear a salt water pool is still a chlorine pool, it just generates its own chlorine on site instead of adding it into the water by passing electrical current through the salt (Sodium Chloride) water in a SWG cell which is plumbed into the equipment. As to the question at hand, without knowing specifics installation can often be done in an hour or so. All it involves is cutting out a short section of pipe (12 inches give or take) and inserting the SWG cell in its place, some replumbing may be needed if you don't have the necessary open length of available pipe in the right place. This is connected to a control box which needs to connected to your electrical supply (some plug in). Cost depends on model and they come in various sizes typically between about $500-$1,200, cells need replacing every few years and cost about half the cost of a complete unit.

Ike

p.s. the lower eye irritation is likely due to the more balance osmotic pressure from the salt water which more closely matches the fluid inside your eye
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~