Filter time for AGP Intex pool / PVC plumbing

poolsam

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 15, 2014
Bangor, maine
I have an Intex 4440 gallon (15 foot by 48 inch) metal frame pool. I am using retrofit Hayward in-wall skimmer, pump, S144T Sand filter, and propane heater in that order. I am still using the original Intex salt water system on a separate circuit for 4 hours of chlorine production daily. Water is very clear. I bought a timer for the Hayward pump, but am not sure when I should run it.

Is it safe to have a skimmer with no other suction returns when kids are in pool? Instructions always mention two returns...

Do people leave the filter on all the time, or run it a certain time of day.

Basically, when we are going to use pool, I remove cover and let it run for a few hours and keep it on during use as it also supports the fountain...

I know my plumbing is all over the place, but I was making use of existing connections. Next year, I will run one PVC pipe to pool and sprinkler - currently I split it by heater and run separate lines to each. I also used the Intex original tubing to make the pool connections as when teh pool is full of kids, the sides shake a little, and I was worried about PVC connection directly to pool being too rigid. This is an 8 year old pool that I take down, store inside, and put up each year for a 4 month season.. The propane heater was the best investment... About $5 an hour to run...

IMG_5315.jpg

IMG_5314.jpg

IMG_5313.jpg

I run my pump several hours a day, and have it on when we are using the pool. Wife likes the circular flow when relaxing in the pool.

I don't have a problem with my walls walking with splashing/waves, but I did bury mine. dug a hole about 18" deep, and placed the excess dirt back around the sides to level out the ares around the pool. Our yard slopes a good amount where we installed the pool, so had to dig to level anyway.

Of course this means I can't take it down every year. I've only had one problem with this. This last winter I was messing with the ice, and managed to tear a 6" hole in the liner. Patched it with a few layers of old liner from when we replaced the original. I saved the old liner just in case this kind of thing happened.

I'll have to check the posts this fall when I drain it down for closing, and replace any rusty ones.

Because my pool walls don't move, I've hard plumbed everything, using regular AG pool returns. No problems with PVC breaking --yet--......

Your plumbing looks just fine, no need to change anything unless you feel you need to.

The two returns rule is for when you have a bottom drain or in-wall suction port that could trap a person of any size. You just need to teach your kids to keep their hands out of the skimmer.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.