Sand question/problem with haward filter

lip

Jun 10, 2014
Mono/Ontario/Canada
Moved into a house a couple of years ago. Existing pool. Last summer was the first we had use of the pool and I noticed I'd clean the pool but a day later it was dirty.
I later realized it was sand.

I did some research and figured the sand was either worn down or a lateral was damaged. I decided to wait till this spring to do it myself.

Up here in Canada, the pool stores are selling nepheline syenite. I was worried about it but on the site others who said it seemed ok and I figured it must be.

So... Open the pool after changing the lateral complete assembly with new sand following the directions of filling with water first...

Ran the pump for a few hours and noticed sand... Quite a lot.
I was having pump problems after turning it on with keeping it primed. Therefore I'm not sure it actually backwashed a lot and the rinse for sure was not enough...

However, the amount of sand in the pool is excessive so I'm wondering if the nepheline syenite has too small grains... Seemed I could pass then through the laterals when I was installing it

Help!?

Thanks

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
No expert here but that seems doubtful since I imagine all underground lines to the pool are pressure lines which would preclude being able to suck in any contaminates.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Attach a sock to the return with a rubber band. If the sand is coming from the plumbing, the sock will catch it and you'll know. It might also tell you which length of pipe if it is an underground leak. But if the sock stays empty and clean, it's something else.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.