Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Should I throw away my 3" Trichlor tablets?

1. Back To Top    #1

Katy, TX

Should I throw away my 3" Trichlor tablets?

I have a new pool with an in line chlorinator. I was told to fill the chlorinator with chlorine tabs so I went to the pool store and bought chlorine tablets. I would like to change to the methods posted on this forum, which would be to use bleach instead of the tablets. I am wondering if there would be a time when I would use the tablets or should I just stop using it completely?

By the way, I do not know my CYA levels. The pool builder's pool school guy gave me a Pentair Rainbow test kit, which only tests for Cl, TA and pH. I just purchased a K-2006 on Amazon and will use that kit to balance my pool.
    24K gallon, IG, plaster, Pentair Clean and Clear Plus Filter, Pentair Heater, Pentair Intelliflo pump, Built in March 2015, Taylor K-2006, Spa included

2. Back To Top    #2
    DFW, Texas

Re: Should I throw away my 3" Trichlor tablets?

First, congrats on getting the K-2006.

I would keep the tabs for temporary use whenever you are out of town and the pool will be unattended. This is what I do. The pucks will keep as long as they are in a sealed container.
    Gold Supporter, TFP Lifetime Supporter, 26,680 gal Plaster IGP 3.5 - 10' depth / Attached Waterfall Spa, Manually Chlorinated, Triton Sand Filter, 1.5 HP * 1.1 SF = 1.65 SFHP 1-speed Pentair WhisperFlo WF-26 Pump, 400K BTU NG Teledyne Laars Series One Heater, Polaris 360, Test Kit Comparison, Chlorine/CYA Chart, SLAMing Your Pool, OCLT
    A good test kit is an investment, not an expense.

3. Back To Top    #3

If you maintain a relatively low CYA (say around 30) you can use tablets during periods when you will be out of town. So I would hang onto them.
    Tucson, AZ
    19k gallon Pebble Tec play pool/spa, Pentair Intelliflo VS (3 hp) 011018, Super II 2hp (for spa), Aqua Rite T-15 SWG, Pro Grid 60 DE filter, Hayward H400 & Heliocol Solar heating, A&A infloor system, fill water w/high CH and TA, 50 ppm borates,TF-100 test kit

4. Back To Top    #4
    San Dimas, CA (LA County)

Hang onto them. They last for years if you keep the bucket closed. They're great for vacations or replacing CYA you lost due to splashout or rainwater overflowing.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!