Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Tf-100 test kit

1. Back To Top    #1

Tf-100 test kit

So after much researching and recommendations from the forum members I purchased and received today the TF-100 Test kit. I did my first test and the test results gave me more questions than answers. Hence I am seeking your help answering my questions as follows:

1. Is this test time sensitive like the test trips. Meaning with the water turn darker or lighter? I perform the chlorine drop test and notice that after performing the test FC as I read the direction for the CC (I am a slow reader) the water turned pink. Same after I was done with the CC test.

2. Does the sample water taken from the pool has an expiration time for which the test results will be accurate?

3. Does TF-100 has a application on the app store to help reading the color results? I think I am color blind as I really had a hard time matching the Chlorine and PH test color.
    20,000 Gallons, 33.9 x 19.9 free form inground plaster pool 7 feet deep with Spillover Spa, Salt Generator (Fusion Soft),Heat Pump, Single Speed 2 HP Pump, D.E. Filter. Zodicac PDA, IQ900RS Controller.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Tf-100 test kit

1. It is normal for the water to turn back pink if you let it sit for a minuet or two

2. The amount of time it takes to carry the sample into the house and conduct the tests will not be too much. Taking the sample in the morning and testing hours later may mess up readings.

3. For the FC you can use the FAS/DPD test (powder, pink to clear test) and ignore the OTO yellow color match test. For pH you do need to color match, and there is no app to read it for you.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks for the fast response Tim5055
    20,000 Gallons, 33.9 x 19.9 free form inground plaster pool 7 feet deep with Spillover Spa, Salt Generator (Fusion Soft),Heat Pump, Single Speed 2 HP Pump, D.E. Filter. Zodicac PDA, IQ900RS Controller.

4. Back To Top    #4

I know many will disagree with me.

I am big into saltwater aquariums. I have been using cheap pocket digital pH meters there for years. I calibrate about once a month, and my calibration is never off by more than a hair. These cost under $20 on amazon. The cheap ones will give you .1 accuracy, which is all you will ever need.
    6425g Intex Ultraframe 18'x48" AG
    Stock 1500gph cartridge filter / Intex SWG CG-28669 with E.C.O.
    Install date: 5/26/2015
    TF-100
    Helpful Links

5. Back To Top    #5

For future reference, we do have Extended Test Kit Directions for all the tests. It contains more details than are found in the directions. The CYA test in particular is very subjective and required proper outdoor lighting for best accuracy.
    Gold Supporter, TFP Lifetime Supporter, 26,680 gal Plaster IGP 3.5 - 10' depth / Attached Waterfall Spa, Manually Chlorinated, Triton Sand Filter, 1.5 HP * 1.1 SF = 1.65 SFHP 1-speed Pentair WhisperFlo WF-26 Pump, 400K BTU NG Teledyne Laars Series One Heater, Polaris 360, Test Kit Comparison, Chlorine/CYA Chart, SLAMing Your Pool, OCLT
    A good test kit is an investment, not an expense.

6. Back To Top    #6

I find it easiest to read the pH color by holding it at arm's length with a white background. My spreadsheet in the lid if the test kit box works perfectly. Then I sort of squint until the numbers aren't quite readable. That lets me concentrate on the color.

What you want is peach. Orange is too low, Barbie pink is too high. In a week or so, you'll be able to judge whether you're closer to the color above or the color below. And if you're really colorblind, get someone else to look at it.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!