Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Green Water and no Free chlorine Help!

1. Back To Top    #1

Green Water and no Free chlorine Help!

Last year, I had an issue maintaining Free Chlorine. My Pool Guy said, I should just empty the pool and add fresh water. I opened the pool yesterday only to find a layer of green algae covering the bottom. Also, Zero FC. I added 2 lbs of Clorax Pool Shock. Water is still green and now cloudy. I am in the process of cleaning out all dead algae. As per my last test the Chlorine level was 1.0 and PH 7.5. Does anyone have any suggestions what I should do next to get the water crystal clear again?
    Pool installed 2000
    13,000 above ground Doughboy Pool
    Hayward Sand Filter with Matrix 1.5 hp pump
    BioGuard Step 3 System

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Green Water and no Free chlorine Help!

Follow the instructions in Pool School to SLAM your pool. What test kit are you Using?

Pool School - SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

3. Back To Top    #3

From your description you need to SLAM the pool. To do this properly, you will need a FAS-DPD chlorine test-this uses both a powder and a liquid reagent. This test is included in the Recommended Test Kits which I would suggest getting if you don't have one already. Our methods and recommendation depend on accurate test results.

A couple of resources I would suggest getting familiar with:
    ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry
    Recommended Pool Chemicals
    FC/CYA Chart
    Pool Math

Also, I would stock up on plain liquid bleach ... you will need a lot of it for the SLAM.
    Gold Supporter, TFP Lifetime Supporter, 26,680 gal Plaster IGP 3.5 - 10' depth / Attached Waterfall Spa, Manually Chlorinated, Triton Sand Filter, 1.5 HP * 1.1 SF = 1.65 SFHP 1-speed Pentair WhisperFlo WF-26 Pump, 400K BTU NG Teledyne Laars Series One Heater, Polaris 360, Test Kit Comparison, Chlorine/CYA Chart, SLAMing Your Pool, OCLT
    A good test kit is an investment, not an expense.

4. Back To Top    #4

I am was using my BioGuard DPD Test Kit. I know I need to order a TF-100 or Taylor 2006? Which one do you recommend?
    Pool installed 2000
    BioGuard Step 3 System

5. Back To Top    #5

TF-100 hands down!
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

6. Back To Top    #6

Be aware that CLOROX™ POOL&SPA™ SHOCK PLUS™ is 58% dichlor, along with some other stuff that is most likely there to counteract the acidity. So you've added some CYA already. Roughly 11 PPM.

Get the right test kit - and the XL option, since you'll need the extra test powder while clearing the swamp - and just follow the SLAM instructions.

Some Inspiration is in here. Might be better to go to the last post and work backwards.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

7. Back To Top    #7

Tot Chlorine 0
    Free Chlorine 0
    TDS 400
    CYA 30
    PH 7.2
    Tot Alkalinity 115
    Adj Alkalinity 106
    Tot Hardness 160
    How much liquid bleach would I need to bring back FC level?
    Pool installed 2000
    BioGuard Step 3 System

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by Debjpools View Post
    Tot Chlorine 0
    Free Chlorine 0
    TDS 400
    CYA 30
    PH 7.2
    Tot Alkalinity 115
    Adj Alkalinity 106
    Tot Hardness 160
    How much liquid bleach would I need to bring back FC level?
    Short answer: 231 ounces of 8.25% plain clorox laundry bleach. That's 2 full jugs leaving about a cup sloshing around in one.

But that's only the first installment on a SLAM. Within a couple hours, you'll no doubt need more. How much? Nobody knows without testing it. That's why one of the prerequisites to performing the SLAM is a FAS-DPD test kit. You won't be able to run back and forth to the pool store fast enough to get it tested and dosed every two hours. By the time you get back the test results will be outdated and obsolete.

How much powder have you added to that pool so far, and what kinds? Two pounds of that clorox stuff wouldn't raise CYA to 30. Not possible unless your pool is the smallest intex made. So you've added more chemicals than you're admitting, or the pool store test is wrong. And if that test is wrong, how can you rely on any other tests they perform.

You need to invest in a proper test kit. Period.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

9. Back To Top    #9

Chlorine level, is set based on the CYA level here, Chlorine CYA Chart. It is important to never let the chlorine level drop below the minimum level for your CYA level or algae will start to grow.

Use Pool School - PoolMath to calculate how much to add to get to the Pool School - Recommended Levels by using the Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

10. Back To Top    #10

You have come to the right place to get AND keep your pool clear! It is really easy-buy a good test kit and bleach.

Once you get your test kit let us know and we can go from there.

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

11. Back To Top    #11

Was just going to backwash the filter put in the 2 jugs of Bleach and now my Valve Handle seems to be stuck and water coming out the waste port. Any suggestion on what I can do?
    Pool installed 2000
    BioGuard Step 3 System

12. Back To Top    #12

Reattaching new gasket. Can someone tell what I need to be balanced before I slam the pool again? example PH, Hardness, etc?
    Pool installed 2000
    BioGuard Step 3 System

13. Back To Top    #13

Reattaching new gasket. Can someone tell what I need to be balanced before I slam the pool again? example PH, Hardness, etc?
    You need to know your new pH and CYA after refilling. It'll need time to mix before you test. If you don't have the proper test kit as listed in the SLAM article, you have a very slim chance of a speedy successful SLAM.

Prerequisites:
    • You need to have a FAS-DPD chlorine test
    • You also need to know your current CYA level, and then look up the corresponding FC shock level. You can use the The Chlorine/CYA Chart at Pool School to find the correct FC shock level for your CYA level.
    • It is best to use bleach or liquid chlorine when SLAMing. You will want to have enough on hand to raise the FC level to shock level at least a couple of times. It is especially important to avoid using dichlor when SLAMing, as it will raise CYA far too quickly.
    • Make sure the pool is free of leaves and other debris (at least as much as possible).
    • Check and adjust the PH to between 7.2 and 7.5. The PH test isn't reliable during SLAMing so make sure to take care of this before you start.
    • Run the pump 24/7 until you are done SLAMing

14. Back To Top    #14

Thank you for all your help with getting me started.

I do have DPD test kit but only tests for Chlorine an PH. I will order the TF-100 this week. How long does it usually take to receive. So in the mean time, filter working good and I have started to slam the pool again. Put in approx 2.5 gallons of bleach yesterday. Do you know what I need to you as a stabilizer for the chlorine right now? PH is at 7.6 and Low TA, CYA 40 and Chlorine is about 1.0 for the last 24 hrs but not getting a reading FC yet on test strips I have.
    Pool installed 2000
    BioGuard Step 3 System

15. Back To Top    #15

As of today. Test results are now : FC 0.12
    TC 1.41
    CC 1.29
    TA 111
    PH 7.6
    CH 140
    CYA 22
    Copper 0.1
    Iron 0.2
    I plan to increase calcium and shock again tonite. Should I continue to shock until FC is at 3?
    Pool installed 2000
    BioGuard Step 3 System

16. Back To Top    #16

As of today. Test results are now : FC 0.12
    TC 1.41
    CC 1.29
    TA 111
    PH 7.6
    CH 140
    CYA 22
    Copper 0.1
    Iron 0.2
    I plan to increase calcium and shock again tonite. Should I continue to shock until FC is at 3?
    You don't need calcium in an aboveground pool.

If you believe the pool store results, your CYA is 22, so shock level is 10 FC. You need to raise it to that and add more every few hours to keep it up there. It will be easier when you have the right test kit in your paws. Until then, do the best you can.