Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: PH steadily dropping...

1. Back To Top    #1

PH steadily dropping...

I have gone from 7.4 to 7.0 since Tuesday. What would cause it to drop like that? Only thing I've done is put CYA in to bring it up from 0. In fact those socks are still in there dissolving.

TA remains high but constant.

#'s from tonight:

Salt 3200 ( dropped from 3400 yesterday!?)
    FC 4
    CC 0
    PH 7
    TA 150
    Water Temp 70

Any ideas? Also, shouldn't I start to see my TA drop now that I'm down to 7 PH?
    Polar Pools, 19' x 39' Vinyl Lined IG, 3' to 9' deep, 33,300 Gallons?
    Pentair Intelliflo VS, Hayward Sand Filter Model # S244T, Compupool SWG, Heliocol Solar Heating
    K-2006 test kit, 1766 Salt Test Kit , Taylor SpeedStir
    Built in 2009, Salt Lake City, UT.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: PH steadily dropping...

CYA drops pH. It is an acid afterall...

As fr as I know, your TA will drop when your pH starts coming back up.

I am in the same boat. TA was 150. PH was 7.8.

Added CYA to bring it up to 70 for my SWG.

PH dropped to 6.8. My TA is slowly dropping now that the pH is rising from aeration.
    6425g Intex Ultraframe 18'x48" AG
    Stock 1500gph cartridge filter / Intex SWG CG-28669 with E.C.O.
    Install date: 5/26/2015
    TF-100
    Helpful Links

3. Back To Top    #3

How are you adding chlorine? Tabs are acidic and will drop your pH, but not that quickly
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

4. Back To Top    #4

How much CYA did you add? If you tried to get all the way to 70, you added a bunch of CYA -- 300+ ounces. Plug that into Effects of Adding Chemicals down at the bottom of poolmath and you'll see how much it can affect pH. Some vigorous aeration will push the pH back up with no additional chemicals needed. Just aim the return up or devise some sort of sprinkler.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

5. Back To Top    #5

I'm slowly adding enough to get to 30 CYA. If everything in there were reading in tests I'd be around 20 so far.

I use the SWG to produce Chlorine. CYA and chlorination are the only things this pool has received since I opened it a few weeks ago.
    Pentair Intelliflo VS, Hayward Sand Filter Model # S244T, Compupool SWG, Heliocol Solar Heating

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by KineKilla View Post
    I'm slowly adding enough to get to 30 CYA. If everything in there were reading in tests I'd be around 20 so far.

I use the SWG to produce Chlorine. CYA and chlorination are the only things this pool has received since I opened it a few weeks ago.
    To add 20 CYA in your pool, it says you add 88 oz. 88 oz will lower pH by .37. That's darn close to .4. Mystery solved.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

7. Back To Top    #7

Good call. I've been using the pool calculator but haven't noticed the part you mentioned. I'll give it another look, thanks!

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by Scuba_Steve View Post

PH dropped to 6.8. My TA is slowly dropping now that the pH is rising from aeration.
    I dont think thats how it works. Its the pH drop from adding acid that lowers the TA. The aeration simply raises the pH back up but doesnt affect the TA
    32,000L Fibreglass Leisure Pools IG 12.5'x23'x5' Pump: AstralPools BX1 1.0HP
    Filter: AstralPools ZX-310 SWCG: AstralPools VX7T
    Heater: Hayward H250FDN Test Kit: TF-100

9. Back To Top    #9

So if my PH is dropping due to the addition of CYA then should I not start seeing my TA coming down as well? Do I need to let it sit at a low level somehow or just push it back up from 7 ?

10. Back To Top    #10

TA might be climbing from adding fill water. Or you could have static electricity on the bottle tip. That makes the drops smaller so it takes more drops to change colors and you get a falsely high reading. See the TA test notes in Extended Test Kit Directions.

11. Back To Top    #11

What was your TA when the pH was 7.4? Maybe it has already dropped down to the current 150. Anyway as richard said above, aeration wil raise the pH upwards without raising TA anymore
    32,000L Fibreglass Leisure Pools IG 12.5'x23'x5' Pump: AstralPools BX1 1.0HP
    Filter: AstralPools ZX-310 SWCG: AstralPools VX7T
    Heater: Hayward H250FDN Test Kit: TF-100

12. Back To Top    #12

I did have to add a lot of water this spring to bring the level up from the winterized level. I'm going to continue to bring it down through aeration and PH reduction and hope for the best. Should work out OK since I still have CYA to add to get it up to acceptable levels which apparently brings my PH down.

How fast should it climb once the CYA is fully dissolved and decent aeration achieved?

My TA has actually gone up from 130 over the last week or two, not down to 150. Thus my confusion...my water is getting more acidic (PH dropping) yet my TA is going up instead of down. How is that possible?