A question about drain settings

lefty51

Platinum Supporter
After reading some posts on where to set drains (i.e. drain vs. skimmer) I am wondering if we have been setting ours wrong all these years. Our pool has two drains in the deep end and one skimmer at the shallow end. There is one valve that lets me set one or both drains open or both closed and one valve to turn skimmer on or off. I can't turn drains part way on or off. I can close one or the other and adjust the open one as I wish. I have always left them all wide open. Now I'm wondering if I'm getting enough "skimming" action. I might add I built an aerator like I saw on here. It's connect to middle return to keep the surface stirred up and moving. By the way I have three return jets along the wall opposite the skimmer. I was always taught "still waters run deep" as far as circulation was concerned. Any thoughts or suggestions ?:confused:

Do you have any issues with debris not being skimmed off the top in a reasonable amount of time?

On a side note regarding safety. Pools having two main drains are one way of passing the requirement for having anti entrapment drain covers. It is assumed that with two drains, there is not sufficient suction to trap a person on one of them. If you have the ability to switch off one drain, please verify that you have anti entrapment covers on both drains. Without these covers, if you just have one drain running it could be a safety hazard, especially for children

Install VGB-Compliant Drain Covers | Pool Safely

Things seem to find skimmer "reasonably well". In the far corners things sometimes seem to stagnate, occasionally. I think if I close one it might be work more efficiently. And yes, we have safety covers on the drains. Thank you for bringing that up. That's a scary situation ! Something I made sure they installed when building the pool. Maybe I'll tinker with it more once SLam is over and we are day to day. Also now the aerator seems to help. Thanks !

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.