Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Should I ditch my Buster Crabbe pool?

1. Back To Top    #1

Should I ditch my Buster Crabbe pool?

We just purchased a house with a Buster Crabbe pool built in 1990. Unfortunately the pool liner, which is less than 5 years old, has come loose on a corner in the deep end. The pool was winterized because the house was unoccupied, and it appears the water level was dropped and the liner shrank. One of the other corners is very tightly pulled and the liner looks like it's ready to split. The company who replaced the liner tried to fix it.The owner of the company came back today to check it out and said if they were able to fix it, it would be out again in a week. Should I put a new liner in the pool or make a garden spot? Will this be a continuous problem or will proper upkeep keep this from happening?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Buster Crabbe 18x32 built in 1990. New liner and pump installed in 2010.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Should I ditch my Buster Crabbe pool?

Welcome to TFP!

While I'm not an authority on vinyl liners, I do know that they eventually need to be replaced. I wouldn't give up on the pool, especially one built in 1990 just because it needs a replacement liner. With proper care, it should last longer than 5 years, though. Hopefully someone with first-hand experience on vinyl liners will chime in with more details.
    Gold Supporter, TFP Lifetime Supporter, 26,680 gal Plaster IGP 3.5 - 10' depth / Attached Waterfall Spa, Manually Chlorinated, Triton Sand Filter, 1.5 HP * 1.1 SF = 1.65 SFHP 1-speed Pentair WhisperFlo WF-26 Pump, 400K BTU NG Teledyne Laars Series One Heater, Polaris 360, Test Kit Comparison, Chlorine/CYA Chart, SLAMing Your Pool, OCLT
    A good test kit is an investment, not an expense.

3. Back To Top    #3

What gets me is that rounded corners are usually a heckuva lot easier to deal with than square ones for a liner.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

4. Back To Top    #4

It pays to buy a quality (thicker) liner, the cheap ones may only last 5 years or so, but the better quality ones if not abused can last 10-12 years, perhaps longer if you are lucky. Overall I would say abuse either physical or chemical is the biggest killer of vinyl liners.
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by Isaac-1 View Post
    It pays to buy a quality (thicker) liner, the cheap ones may only last 5 years or so, but the better quality ones if not abused can last 10-12 years, perhaps longer if you are lucky. Overall I would say abuse either physical or chemical is the biggest killer of vinyl liners.
    My Grandfather had a pool built in the late 80's... in ground I think 15x30 with a 7.5 ft deep end ( if memory serves me right ) |

That line lasted him from late 80's until 2012 when all of the grand kids were grown up and nobody was using the pool and he decided to fill it in. Drained the water and by the end of the day the liner was crumbling into pieces ( touching it resulted in crumbling )

So yes a liner properly maintained and cared for can last a LONG time ( 20+ years in this case ) There were patches here and there and I think one small spot where the liner slipped out of the coping every few seasons but it never gave him any major issues.
    24 ft Sharkline Matrix AG
    Waterway 1HP 2SPD Sand Filter 100lb sand capacity, using 50lb of ZeoSand
    TAYLOR K-2006 test kit.
    Installed Spring 2013
    16x16 Deck Going up Soon.