Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Heliocol vs. Pentair heat exchanger

1. Back To Top    #1

Heliocol vs. Pentair heat exchanger

We have a 7-10,000 gallon in-ground, gunnite/plaster pool. We are adding a heater and have decided to use a heat exchanger, rather than a gas heater. Heating is not necessary between June 1 and mid-to-late September (80 degree pool temp without heater). Any opinions about a Heliocol vs. Pentair heat exchanger? Both would be 125,000 BTU. Heliocol salesman says Pentairs do not function well when temperature drops below 55 degrees - so might not work during March, October and November. We will also change a single speed Pentair filter pump (2 HP) to a Pentair Intelliflo, and have been offered both the VS+ (3 HP), and the i2 (2 HP). Thanks for any help.

North Scottsdale, AZ. In ground plaster/gunnite pool, 7-10,000 gallons. Pentair pumps and filter, saline sanitizer. Professionally maintained on a weekly basis.

2. Back To Top    #2
    Tucson, AZ

Re: Heliocol vs. Pentair heat exchanger

Welcome to TFP!!!

Well, the Heliocol will not be adding too much heat when the temp is below 55 degrees either. The nice thing about the solar though is that there are no real costs after the install ... although the install might be 4x the cost of a heat exchanger.

I would just get the regular VS pump (not the i2) ... although really, a 2-speed motor change would be a cheaper option.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!