Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Hayward replacement motor cavitation

1. Back To Top    #1

Hayward replacement motor cavitation

After 12 years, I needed to replace the 1/2 HP Hayward Super II motor for my water feature. Two things happened during the replacement. First, when I went to pull the diffuser off, one of the tabs that holds it on snapped off. That left four tabs, so I did not replace the diffuser. Second, during the disassembly, I somehow lost the gasket that goes between the diffuser and the pump housing. I went to Leslie's to buy a new one, and the guy there said that gasket does more harm than good and he never uses it, so I did not get a replacement. Motor seemed to go together fine, but pump is now putting out less than half of what the old motor did and you can see severe cavitation through the strainer cover, like the pump is pulling half air. No apparent leaks anywhere I can see. Any suggestions?
    16,000 gal in-ground Pebble-tec pool / Pebble-sheen spa. Jandy AquaPure 1400 SW Cl gen (SWG) system. In-floor cleaning system w/ Hayward EcoStar 2.0 HP VSP pump. Hayward 31" sand filter. 900 sq ft Heliocol solar panels (on roof) w/ separate 1 HP Pentair WhisperFlow single speed pump. Water feature with separate Hayward 0.85 HP VSP pump.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Hayward replacement motor cavitation

You can not see cavitation ... that happens in the impeller and is loud.
    You are just seeing air being drawn in from a suction leak. See if this helps: Pool School - Suction Side Air Leaks
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Hayward replacement motor cavitation

Mystery solved - the strainer cover has a crack in it. Thanks for your help.
    16,000 gal in-ground Pebble-tec pool / Pebble-sheen spa. Jandy AquaPure 1400 SW Cl gen (SWG) system. In-floor cleaning system w/ Hayward EcoStar 2.0 HP VSP pump. Hayward 31" sand filter. 900 sq ft Heliocol solar panels (on roof) w/ separate 1 HP Pentair WhisperFlow single speed pump. Water feature with separate Hayward 0.85 HP VSP pump.