How would you repipe this?

Hi. I bought a Superflo VS to replace my Whisperflo and in my haste I did not notice that the connections were different on the two models.

"No problem," I thought. "I will just order a new union of the same make and mate half of the old union to half of the new union after gluing in the slip fittings." But GF decided to change from a tapered thread to a square thread. So that won't work. Thanks fellas.

Now I am stuck trying to figure out the best way to re-pipe this. The long side should be easy-- just cut it and use a coupler. But how would you approach the side that goes underground? I don't have a lot to work with and the check valve essentially abuts the ground.

I am not a "money is no object" guy but I want to do this the right way, even if it costs much more. Of course I will replace the ball valve with a better quality valve.

So, the questions:
1. How would you repipe the side that goes underground?
2. Would you add any other fittings anywhere?
3. Can you recommend a ball valve that will last and a place to buy it?
4. What else am I missing?

IMG_20150528_191559.jpg

The check valves are designed to have the pipe go inside them, or a larger size fitting fit on the outside.
So, cut the pipe right above the check valve, then get a larger 90 fitting to go over the check valve.
This might make the horizontal part of the 90 too low in which case you may have use a straight coupler on the top of the check valve and then a 90 (or maybe a street elbow)
But, that might make the horizontal part too high for the pump so you may need to raise the pump or see what will line up.
Hopefully you do not need to dig down and change the height of the check valve.

I would also suggest using a real pool valve instead of your broken PVC ball valves.

On a side note, why do you have so many pumps????

Oftentimes check valves and three-way valves are dual-diameter. Meaning, it takes a 1½" inside pipe or a 2" outside. If that's the case, it's easy. Saw the pipe off the check valve, install a larger coupling, and then reduce it. Or a larger 90 and then downsize after the bend.

Thanks for the advice on the check valve. If mine is typical the job will be easier than I feared and you will have saved me a lot of trouble.

I assume any pool supply store should have a suitable valve.

I have four pumps: one is a circulator, two are jet pumps, one is a fountain pump. I am replacing the latter. I gather that the pool was somewhat misengineered. We did not install it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.