Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: saltwater system quesiton

1. Back To Top    #1

saltwater system quesiton

Control center of the saltwater system went up am waiting for a new system to arrive-until then what should I do with the pool to keep the water in good quality? I can use the filter pump but no chlorine is being made or cyn! Is there something I should use just to keep the water clean until chlorine is being made again?
    We have an intex pool that is 18' x 9' x 52". It is about 3 years old and this is the first year we had to patch a few holes in the bottom. We use a saltwater system with a filtering pump all in one, that is about 3 years old as well.
    Overall we have been very happy with our set up.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: saltwater system quesiton

If your SWG is not working, manually chlorinate with bleach.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

3. Back To Top    #3

Use pool math to calculate how much bleach to add every day to keep your chlorine level above the minimum for you CYA level. Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

4. Back To Top    #4

It is okay to add regular laundry bleach to pool water? If I go to the Pool School option I will find a Chlorine/CYA chart?
    We have an intex pool that is 18' x 9' x 52". It is about 3 years old and this is the first year we had to patch a few holes in the bottom. We use a saltwater system with a filtering pump all in one, that is about 3 years old as well.
    Overall we have been very happy with our set up.

5. Back To Top    #5

yes. use regular laundry bleach. Do not use splash-less or scented.
    17K Kidney Shaped Pool Concrete (Diamond Bright) Pool, 3/4 hp 2 speed 115V Sta-rite Duraglas PEA5D-180L/P2R5D-181L (Impeller C105-92PS Diffuser C1-216P), 1.5 piping, Pentair CC100 Filter , Heat Siphon 100K BTU Heat Pump Pool Heater, Flow meter Blue White Flowmeter Model No. F-30150P, Hayward Astrolight SP0581N, SWCG CalimarTitanium Edition TE45 , Dolphin Nautilus Plus with CleverClean, Lakeland Florida

6. Back To Top    #6

Pooldv put a link to the chart in his post and yes, plain laundry bleach. No EZ pour, no scents, no flavors. Pool Math will calculate Ho much you need to add.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

7. Back To Top    #7

I buy store brand plain old unscented bleach at the grocery store, 8.25%

p.s. blue text is an active hyper link that you can click.
    Like this --->> Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach